Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Familiar with Medium/Heavy Duty Trucks?

Anyone Here Familiar with Medium/Heavy Duty Trucks?

Ok so we have a dump at work. 16ft high sided box on a 1990 International 4900 Chassis that's got hydraulic brakes so its a G license truck. Box is a roofers job so it also has a scissor lift in it that allows it to raise up 17-18ft like this

Problem is the 1990 chassis is really showing it's age and giving us a lot of issues/breakdowns. We've been looking for a replacement for what feels like an eternity now with no avail. All I'm finding for single axle dumps are the landscapers low side 10-14ft beds which are worthless to us. I found one 16ft single axle high sided basic dump in Ontario, it's $85,000 CAD and has 130,000 miles. Nothing on this side of the border has the scissor lift in it, I found a couple in Florida but even used they're north of 120k USD, plus transportation to Ontario...

My question is I see a few cab/chassis trucks for sale on trader in the 30-40k range. Would we be able to transfer our specialized dump body over to a newer chassis or are we going to quickly eclipse the cost of the chassis in doing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I’m not real familiar with them, although I have worked on some trucks that size, nothing had a scissor lift like that. Thing is, those trucks are all just built as a cab/chassis and upfitted somewhere else, so I’m sure if you got another truck with the same distance between the rails that your box and required stuff could be swapped over fairly easily. Keep in mind of course that it would be 20-30 hours of work I’m sure, at $100-140/hr depending where you go.

Honestly I think we'd be happy if we could get it done in 60 hours of work at that point.

Sadly the only truck place I knew anyone at closed up a year or so ago, so I wouldn’t even know where to point you, but it can’t really be too much work, problem is the facility has to be equipped to handle it.
    There was a guy here (or there) that dealt in bigger trucks, I forget his username but he had one of those white/blue Trans Ams from about 2002, used to be online often, but I don’t recall anything from him in the past year.

We've used Lepains a bit recently for the boom truck, 5 ton cube and float trailer. Was gonna give them a call later this week but I imagine it's near impossible to ball park this sorta thing, but hopefully they've done this before at least.

This whole thing sucks, replacing some of the specialized equipment is like nearly impossible. Got a conveyor that's gonna need replacement soon too, cant find one of them either.

From what I ha e heard and experienced any of the new stuff with a diesel is tones of issues. Due to the def systems. My truck guy said that it’s well worth putting the time into an older truck

Ya, if it was a mid 2000s we would. But honestly the chassis is 28 years old, and been through 28 winters and 28 years of roofers.

looks in such good shape. as stated must trucks the chassis are the set to retrofit pretty much anything you would want. maybe check out dome heavy machine shops, them may have the gear to swap the bed to something newer

If you can find a chassis with the correct cab to axle spec, slam dunk to change. Not all that much more difficult if chassis needs a stretch, provided you find the right shop to do it. Did you try someone that builds truck bodies?