Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  17
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tesla vs GT news lol

stangstevers
    Pound for pound electric motors are far better than combustion. Problem, as always, is battery tech... although there's a lot of promising stuff in R&D right now. Most efficient gas engine is probably still around 50% in those tiny little F1 engines... I think typical gasoline cars today are probably still in the 30's to 40% range, not that much improved since their invention.

There's a lot of energy density in gasoline, I think 45 MJ/kg... Where Lithium-Ion is something like 2.x MJ/kg So really, as it stands today, electric cars are merely an experiment. Shifting tailpipe emissions from rich cities to 3rd world countries. And honestly Tesla is a luxury brand experiment, I like them for that reason. It's like buying a nasty ass BMW or Mercedes... it's to have luxury.

Problem with gasoline (and other fuels) is we have at most 40% efficient engines on the streets, and after we bring the power to the wheels, there's another 20% reduction in efficiency... Whereas electric motors are (I think) 80%-90% efficient and there doesn't need to be any loss in energy with transmissions, axles, driveshafts, etc... Hybrids are kind of stupid on paper, because once you ran out of juice, the generator kicks in and it's incredibly "less efficient" because you are lugging around a very heavy car for the power output. They work because for most of the commute, the gas generator doesn't need to kick in (for most people).

I would think that an aluminum / carbon fiber chassis shaped in a very aerodynamic body and a tiny 0.8L turbo/supercharged high revving 3 cylinder engine could get the same or better MPG as a chevy volt.

I think the REAL change should be in still using gasoline but let's bring typical total efficiency from 15%-20% to near 100% using fuel cell technology like solid-oxide... I think if we focused on that (I think the problem is the tech is too big and runs stupid hot like 900 or 1000 degrees). Imagine filling up your 10 second ELECTRIC POWERED MUSTANG at a gas station and doing 1500km per tank!?

To me a gasoline engine is like heating your home with windows and doors wide open. It's stupid (in terms of thermal efficiency). Imagine if 100% of my Coyote power hit the ground instead of 20% overall... Actually that's like having 2100HP LMAO! See when you put in perspective, you can really see how ICE is not the future but neither is Lithium-Ion.

I don't understand why anyone would argue against having near 100% efficient drivetrain...

Anyone else remember when ICE meant in car entertainment or frozen water.