Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notch value questions

stangstevers

Notch value questions

Hey guys, I am planning on selling it eventually but it won’t be a $5,000 notch. But to maximize value I want it to be a true and reliable turn-key car.

So I may strip the paint and redo it. There’s no rust but the paint isn’t perfect. I’m also going to put the 3.73’s in it because the stock gears suck.

Now I have a good set of Trickflow heads. I can sell them for around $1400 or install them and sell the GT40’s instead? Would better heads add value? Remember this notch has good parts like the z-spec FRPPP T5, Max motorsports stuff, Cobra brakes front and back, Tubular intake, etc...

Honestly, with the market so hot for notches i'd sell it as is. I don't think you'll recoup your time, effort and cost to paint and install the heads.
    Also, people want to see original paint, painting the car may actually decrease the value.

stangstevers
    Ack previous owner got it painted 18 years ago. No rust but faded and uncared for was the reason. Plus they painted the mirrors and moldings shiny which shouldn't be. If I paint it again, I will strip it down to bare metal and can take pics, videos of the metal being clean. But the body has all the correct anti-theft decals so they didn't paint over anything like that at least. Maybe I can do simple paint corrections and get the hood painted to match at least.

As it stands, it's not perfect paint (probably 6.5/10) but the interior I'd argue is 10/10, underside is 8/10, engine bay is close to 8/10... Has a lot of rare, hard to find or expensive parts like the tubular intake and Cobra calipers, Z-spec T5, etc... It's not a mint low mile original coupe that would go for 25k or more USD but close to a perfect turn-key show car with just 112,000km that is not only reliable but can handle track days and have fun.

I need to take a detailed video of the thing (but the Cobra is on the lift right now) to send to a few guys in the USA. Looks like I'm at anywhere from 18 to 21k (CAD) for this car right now. I do want to fix the oil leak and change the gear (at a minimum) to make it a true turn-key car. I want to make sure the new owner is more than happy with it. But time will tell... who knows. Better to start high (and ask for higher price) than start low and change it upwards later.
    Last edited by stangstevers; 08-22-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Ack previous owner got it painted 18 years ago. No rust but faded and uncared for was the reason. Plus they painted the mirrors and moldings shiny which shouldn't be. If I paint it again, I will strip it down to bare metal and can take pics, videos of the metal being clean. But the body has all the correct anti-theft decals so they didn't paint over anything like that at least. Maybe I can do simple paint corrections and get the hood painted to match at least.

As it stands, it's not perfect paint (probably 6.5/10) but the interior I'd argue is 10/10, underside is 8/10, engine bay is close to 8/10... Has a lot of rare, hard to find or expensive parts like the tubular intake and Cobra calipers, Z-spec T5, etc... It's not a mint low mile original coupe that would go for 25k or more USD but close to a perfect turn-key show car with just 112,000km that is not only reliable but can handle track days and have fun.

I need to take a detailed video of the thing (but the Cobra is on the lift right now) to send to a few guys in the USA. Looks like I'm at anywhere from 18 to 21k (CAD) for this car right now. I do want to fix the oil leak and change the gear (at a minimum) to make it a true turn-key car. I want to make sure the new owner is more than happy with it. But time will tell... who knows. Better to start high (and ask for higher price) than start low and change it upwards later.
    Are fox's worth that much now....?

stangstevers
    meh... hit or miss.

Pure original mint no or low mile foxes are going for real good money. Especially notchbacks with black or grey interiors (factory 5.0/T5 cars).

I don't care to sit on my not-as-mint notch for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    meh... hit or miss.

Pure original mint no or low mile foxes are going for real good money. Especially notchbacks with black or grey interiors (factory 5.0/T5 cars).

I don't care to sit on my not-as-mint notch for a while.
    I've seen high dollar fox's that have been hoarded by a dealer up their in price - pretty rare tho - hard to believe they sold so many of them - bought one '90 paid $13,500 was a great trouble free car

stangstevers
    They didn't produce that many tho... I mean yeah if you tally the numbers for 79 to 93, 5.0 and 2.3... sure. But there are versions that are in the single digits in terms of production runs and coupes especially were never really desirable back then, they sucked with bad seats, ugly boxy looking 2 door sedans and cheap looking compared to the GT hatch (that was the mentality).

Fast forward 25+ years of drag racing, crashes, real bad modifications, aero-nose swaps (for the pre-86), used in the rust belt, etc... Not a whole lot left for those wanting a trouble free clean example. Still some good deals out there I'm sure doesn't happen often.

new car sales very low back then - my '79 was sold new for around $10,000 - in '90 $13,500 - very odd I really don't know how people afford new ones now - in 1990 I made $21/hour in a warehouse now cars are 50+ and I think wages haven't changed much...?

Paid $16,800 for my 90 brand new out the door, with inflation today it would cost $32,843.80. I would take that much for it now....

stangstevers
    21 bucks an hour in 1990 is pretty good! That's 72k/year in today's money.

My first real job was 5 bucks an hour in the late 90's lol

But yeah a new GT is much more expensive than a foxbody was (with inflation correction) but you do get a LOT more car too. Twice the power, 10x the comfort, 10x the handling and braking...