Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight vs heavy wheels

Lightweight vs heavy wheels

I have read of the benefits of reducing rotating mass, the data I've seen doesn't seem to make it that important.
    Im looking to change wheels.
    The first set Im in love with I found out weigh 36 and 38lbs I believe. (20x9 and 20x11 Shelby wheels)
    Ive debated some of the new flow formed wheels that weigh 25lbs.

Convince me to get the light ones vs the pretty ones lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lighter wheels help quicker acceleration as do lighter fly wheels and suspension parts maybe not be much difference unless your looking for tenths...

Unless you are racing the car on a regular basis, the a few extra pounds won’t mean much when on the street. If you are racing, get a dedicated set of track wheels and forget about the 20s.

Get the ones you like best!
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Just get the wheels u really Like!
    Real happy with my Forgestars though, somewhat lighter than others and didn’t break the bank.
    - “ butt dyno “ felt it more responsive (turns/ accel. Etc)
    Only after initial change, after you get used to it and becomes the same feel
    - gas mileage?? Minimal

X2 if you looking for tenths have your dedicated track set ready
    Even in your stock set - up (Honda) you’d spank my coyote all over the place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

If the data you have seen states that it's unimportant, then get the pretty wheels.

But don't try and justify it by denouncing physics.
    -Don____________

I used to think (10+ years ago) that each pound of wheel weight was worth roughly 7 pounds of static weight, but I'm not sure on what basis I had that impression. Around 5 years ago, I read a comparison someone did that found 1lb wheel weight differences were worth more like 3 lbs static weight each, which makes more sense. I don't have any of those sources handy though, and the wheel diameter is a consideration of how much the effect is as well. So if you're dropping 10lbs per wheel, it's like 120lbs of static weight - using the 3:1 rule.

I’ve heard a similar ratio Andy. Could probably do the math, but it’s already after beer-o-clock.

Rotational components like wheels, rotors, flywheels, driveshafts, etc. Have both a static physical weight that needs to be moved along with the car, but also a rotational mass or momentum that needs to get spun up to speed. Both tasks require torque and horsepower. So saving weight on something like a wheel has a greater effect on overall performance than say lighter heads.
    -Don____________

stangstevers
    Don's about to go full on Aristotle on this thread

The unsprung weight was one thing I was hoping someone would comment on
    The articles I read were using 1/4 times as a comparison and it was such a slight difference but the idea of 13lbs less per corner sounds like it would have to change the feel of the suspension and have some sort of butt Dyno increase?
    I have a alloy drive shaft but haven't put it in that I think would be the same idea slight measurable increases but should change the feel?

As others said forget about racing if I was to or took it seriously I'd have a dedicated setup this is strictly for a the street

Heavy wheels are Shelby CS2's
    Lighter option are something like LMR GT7

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk