Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tubes in the block.

I wouldn’t worry about the tubes, break em all off if you want, it won’t hurt anything.

Nice to meet you yesterday.

Gnatsum
    Nice meeting you to Rick, great event with a bunch of awesome guys.
    Just an update on the tubes in block, Apparently they are just thick wire that where left in there from the casting process and have no purpose what so ever. I just found it odd as I have never seen these before . I went to a different machine shop and showed him the plugs I had removed and showed him a few picks of the holes, needless to say he had a good laugh and said same as you guys is that only thing holding them in was the gasket material they applied. However on another note for any one thinking on "just tapping" the holes can forget about it. I bought the plugs and tap hoping to do just that. However the problem is the holes need to be reamed out considerably and the block should be bare to make it more manageable. Funny how ya can read on other forums of guys doing all 6 in like 20 minutes with motor still in car, ya right...…..
    I wound up replacing all 6 with the deep plugs which drove in considerably hard and then on top of that I tack welded the lip in three spots just to calm my nerves. Had 5 solid runs on car yesterday so now just gotta get used to it again after being out of it for almost a year.
    Thanks for all the help and info guys.

I've read similar blerbs from guys claiming taping the holes is a quickie slam dunk, not so much.
    Upside, your back to enjoying your car, congrats.