Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubes in the block.

Odd part that struck me, how thick the sealant appears to be. Normally all but the smallest fraction of a layer is displaced knocking the plugs in. It would lead a person to believe the plugs all but fell in the holes. Being an old skool mechanic, back in the day we replaced rusted out plugs on a very regular basis. Never seen one come out of a spotlessly clean hole installed either dry or using gasket shellac. They didn't have some cheapie brass knock offs in there did they? Did you try knocking a steel plug in just to see how tight it fits? Normal would be a decent few cracks with a hammer to drive them home.

Gnatsum
    I wouldn’t agree with you more ZR. I wish it didn’t take me 3 different times at the track to realize this but when I talked to the machine shop he assured me they where in right and that wasn’t my problem. I was lucky enough to put a pressure gauge inside the car last weekend so I could see if it spiked past 16lbs. During the 1/4 run it started at around 7psi and near the end it hit 15 than instantly zero. I knew another plug came out. Pretty bad when 15 psi blows out plugs. Here’s a pic of the hole it actually blew out of. I think only thing holding it in was the sealer they used.5D1F4BAD-6B0C-499C-9B3C-71051BB13DAA.jpeg

Only reason to use some sort of glue is to fix a known problem, frost plugs don't just fall out. Sorry to hear it's been that kinda deal for you. Have you been using steel plugs?

You can see clear as day plug had no bite on the block what so ever, glue / goop holding it only.

Could also use the “temporary” rubber plugs, I’ve used them before when access was tight, worked well but apparently aren’t permanent. Or for that matter, you could just use a block heater in each hole.
    I agree completely that the plugs must be too small for the holes, way too much sealer there.

Temp plugs work well as a permanent solution but only if the inner lip is short enough (all around) which allows it to do a full overlap n keep it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Temp plugs work well as a permanent solution but only if the inner lip is short enough (all around) which allows it to do a full overlap n keep it in place.
    I’ve found them leaking after a year or so, retightening seems to take care of it though, never seen one fail yet.

Back in the day, we had a few pop out without warning. Common denominator,holes that had an inner lip deeper than the depth of the plug itself (most common on Olds engines). On other applications, stood up fine but as you said, odd one would start to seep requiring just a hair of snug up then fine.

Gnatsum
    Well I went against the grain when I replaced them. After measuring the steel over the brass I opted to go with brass. They measured almost 2thou bigger and my theory of thinking is that brass heats faster and would swell into hole tighter when hot. I also used red loctite on the two I replaced and they held. It took a big hammer to bang them out. Anyways so back to original question, does anyone know if these tubes are needed if I happen to break one off when I try and move it so I can run a tap into it. I thought about rubber but I already bought the screw in caps and tap for it. Going to tackle this Friday once I’m back in my shop. I just want to do it right because I’m getting tired of pulling motor out for this and not to mention the Wild ride it has sent me on about mid track.

I've heard of this from other people but don't know what the solution was or if they ever had one (solution) - your logic sounds good hope it works out for you - could have been a problem with block or poor quality replacement parts - the tubes I have no idea! Hope it all works out!