Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roofing contractor.

Roofing contractor.

Just a question for any roofing guys. On ridge venting.

Pm if you wish. Thanks

What up?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Had our roof re shingled. And they put on a “ridge cap”. Which I was expecting to be a ridgeCap assembly. It ended up being that roof foam stuff payed over a slot cut in the ridge and then shingled over with cap shingles.

I questioned it. And he said that how they do it and it’s approved by timberline for their warranty.

Is that a legit way to do it?

Also when re shingling is it common practice to just lift the edge of the flashing pull the old shingles out underneath and laying new shingles then bending the flashing back into place and re calking?

We avoided the lowest quote and pace a bit more for a local guy with a good rep but I expected a bit more the. What they ended up doing.

Just want to make sure I wasnt expecting too much

Did you have a ridge vent before? Are you saying they spray foamed the opening where you had a ridge vent and then just capped it? Or did you have it capped before and were expecting them to install a ridge vent? Need more info here, but either way whatever they were going to do should be spelled out in the quote.

As for flashings, don't know if you mean valley flashings, vertical flashings, pipe flashings, drip edge, etc. Our standard practice is to replace all metal flashings, however sometimes it's not feasible or not possible to replace vertical flashings (like at a chimney or wall) so yea it gets reused. Again it should all be spelled out in the quote as to if he intended to replace or reuse the flashings.

Do you have any pictures of the deficiencies in question? Nothing sounds overly wrong except I think this guy quoted/provided a shingle replacement vs expectation of a full roof replacement (which is justified). This why we only do commercial roofing now, there's no level playing field or standard of work for residential unfortunately. If this guy has a good rep I wouldn't lose sleep over it, your roof should be sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I’ll take some pics this aft and post them up.

Just want to be sure I wasn’t expecting too much before I call him up and bitch. Lol.

so will start by saying the roof job was two parts, the main 2 story part of the house and the back one story part.

the east side of the back part was done a year ago when we discovered some really bad rotting brought on by years of ice daming, we had to completely remove the lower part of the roof, run new rafters and re sheat the entire side, my dad and I did it ourselves and just used over the counter flashing, and drip edge.

when we requested a quote I told them they can do there own thing on the top half but I have enough flashing and drip edge for the back half and would like them to use that so it matched,

IMG_2631.jpg
    in this pic you can see the drip edge that my dad an I installed on the right, that piece was longer, cut and folded along the roof line and running down the left side so it could be used and added too when the new shingles went on, instead they cut it off at the peek and then used just a basic galvanized drip edge that dosnt even go all the way to the peak

IMG_2629.jpg

here is the other part of that roof, again on the right the flashing that my dad and I put on when doing that side, and on the left, the original flashing that they just bent out of the way, cut shorter then bent back down and calked the heck out of

IMG_2626.jpg
    here is the "ridge cap vent" in question, might be hard to make out but its just that black fiber foam stuff that is used under steel roofing, then layed it over the slot in the ridge and then nailed cap shingles on top. he said that this is a warranty approved vent for the timberline shingles they used.

IMG_2630.jpg
    we had them quote soffit and facia as well but decided to address the singles this year and then do the rest with the evestroughs next year, however there was one spot on the back side that was bad and I had asked them to replace the facia board while they were up there. as you can see they didnt

IMG_2627.jpg
    this is the current state of my trough post roof repair.

this job was quoted in may, and suppose to be completed in july, they were "too busy" so it kept getting pushed back and was completed last week in one, they did it in one day and left me a $6000 bill

as an update when I spoke with the contractor this am. he says he didn't know that they were suppose to use supplied flashing and drip edge and would be willing to come install it for me... for a fee of course

03svt
    id Be more concerned about getting that flashing replaced, new shingles are a nice addition but if nothing is there to divert it from the edge of the home you’ve got water issues.

I’d be replacing the flashing instead of patching it.

Did they replace any of the roof vents or delete any of them?

Removed all the standard vents that were there and installed those “ridge vents”

I had asked them to do the flashing but they didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post

I had asked them to do the flashing but they didn’t.
    Was the removal and installation of the new flashing not stated on the written contract?