Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roofing contractor.

That style ridge vent is acceptable, I think Owens Corning makes the stuff.

The flashings and drip edge detail is rough looking sorry to say. As stated above get the flashings against the house addressed pronto. Sorry about that mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    Was the removal and installation of the new flashing not stated on the written contract?
    the flashing itself was not listed but I assumed that was because I told him I had the flashing for it already,
    the quote left a lot to be desired, normaly would not have accepted It. but the came very highly recommended from everyone that has used them.

ive nnever shingled a rood without replacing the flashing at the corners between the shingles and any virtical be it, chiminy, wall ect. assumed it was just part an parcel of the job

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    That style ridge vent is acceptable, I think Owens Corning makes the stuff.

The flashings and drip edge detail is rough looking sorry to say. As stated above get the flashings against the house addressed pronto. Sorry about that mess.
    k that was what I wasn't sure about. thanks

flashing sucks but I can climb up and do it myself, guess I just accepted more, going to be a PITA to remove the gobs of calking they used in lue of flashing. mabe get lucky and can flash over it

awesome thanks, had never seen it done like that before so wanted to make sure before complaining about it

No worries, hopefully you get the metal situation sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    This might be what's on there
    Neat looking product. But the graphics leave me in suspense:
    "RidgeCat branding helps center vent over....."
    "Printed nailing tack lines eliminate...."
    -Don____________

It's a roofers mad lib.

so fun update. I had called back in September and talked to him again, said I under stand the venting now, no worries there but I have issues with the way the drip rail and flashing was done. I would like to show you my concerns and get it rectified.
    his response was well if we have to re do flashing ill have to charge for it. I said not if it was not what I asked for an not done correctly. (shingles butting against brick wall with no step flashing and the seam just filled with caulk.

so he was suppose to call when in the area never showed up. we also never got an invoice. but a few weeks back i came home and ther was cut up flashing material all over my driveway and back yard, went up on the roof, and they took teh drip rail that i had asked them to install cut it thiner to clear teh nails already in, bent back teh shingles on the edge (breaking some) and hammered it OVER TOP THE DRIP MOULDING THAT WAS ALREADY THERE. never called didnt leave a note. and i still never got a bill.
    untill today. get home to an envelope stuck in the door. with two invoices, one dated back in september for the original estimate price PLUS AN EXTRA $800, for "re-shingling back roof" which was suppose to be included in the origonal estimate.
    then there was a second bill that was teh same but marked OVERDUE and have another $600 in interest.

Still waiting for a call back.

DinoZ
    I’ll chime in on this

1.) Drip edge along the eaves is used to prevent water from wicking back up under the shingles along the lower eaves so that water can flow into the gutters. It is also used to aesthetically give a finished look, a straight line edge for shingle application and meant to overhang the eaves slightly so as to direct water into the gutters. Asphalt shingles typically overhang the drip edge by no more than 1/2”.

2.) The ridge vent you have is a a common ridge type vent made of polypropylene. Ventilation is important in an asphalt shingle application and placing the ventilation on the ridge is the most effective as warm/hot humid air rises to the highest point where it will evacuate from this style of vent. In order for this vent to function well though you must have equal fresh or outside air enter the attic (plenum area) equally and via your soffits, this is crucial.

Think of it this way, the temperature in your attic say in winter should be equal to or close to outside temperatures. So your soffits must be free and clear of any insulation or blockage whatsoever.

I will not address insulation , but it is the most important factor and reading through your posts you had issues with ice damning and this is most often caused by insufficient insulation in your attic combined with blocked soffits and insufficient evacuation (venting). If you wish I can explain in further detail to you personally if this is a concern.

3.) Flashing. Step flashing is used on sidewall application and are “stepped” under each row of shingles along the sidewall edge to create a “waterfall” effect. Counterflashing, or the flashing up against the sidewall that goes over the step flashing area can be reused and sometimes it is countersunk into the mortar etc...

I cannot speak for pricing on the work as this is an area that varies greatly.

Again if you need further information let me know.