Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck a beer

Buck a beer

People were criticizing the buck a beer plan. I said it was a move to show against the government run beer monopoly that we have been saddle with for ever.
    Who does a government run beer monopoly benefit?

Well it sure helped this guy

https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2...he-market.html

Wow......
    I have yet to try any of the $1 beers but am curious to try some of the PC products. Their food items are almost always good and the beer is actually brewed by some not so massive breweries across Canada that are known for making pretty good beer, eg Big Rock Brewery in AB.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Sorry, where is this buck a beer? My grocery store I get it for 2.50 ( I think that’s pretty good)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

stangstevers
    The term buck used for money was created in 1956... with inflation buck a beer really means 2.67 in today’s money.

Lowering the minimum price of beer cost the PCs nothing. Why even have a minimum price? Why didn’t the PCs remove the regulation entirely?

Lakeport introduced buck-a-beer in the early ‘90’s to gain market share dominated by Molsons and Labatts. Around the same time the big 2 were pushing high alcohol “ice” beers. MADD din’t like any of this, so they got the Liberals to legislate a minimum price for beer of $1.25.

You want to help out your fellow Ontarioan with lower beer prices? How about NOT raising the tax 3 cents a litre come November 1. Part of the 2015 liberal budget calls for the beer tax to go up in another month. How about squashing that?

Just for the record:
    -Don____________

not looking for beer for a buck, I just understand the point the pc's were going for, yes it was an easy political win for them. one more kept promise,

I dont drink big box brew, ive got no problem paying more for the superior product being made by many many small local craft brewers

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    People were criticizing the buck a beer plan. I said it was a move to show against the government run beer monopoly that we have been saddle with for ever.
    Who does a government run beer monopoly benefit?

Well it sure helped this guy

https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2...he-market.html
    So you think he made all that money as CEO of a brewery in Ontario? Didn't really have much to do with Ontario pricing - most of the wealth came from financial transactions (stock options and grants related to M&A activity).

well he started there then ran interbrew when they bought out Labatt, (interbrew being the largest brewer co in the world)

of course investments were part of it, but I don't see the point in paying down the large sums of money he made running companies directly benefitting off government set monopolies

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    well he started there then ran interbrew when they bought out Labatt, (interbrew being the largest brewer co in the world)

of course investments were part of it, but I don't see the point in paying down the large sums of money he made running companies directly benefitting off government set monopolies
    Again, I don't think an Ontario government beer monopoly created those kinds of riches - the IB transaction was massive and he got huge payouts plus IB global sales dwarfs Ontario so local government policy doesn't support the argument for his current position.

That said, if Ford really wants to do something for Ontarians then cut excess taxes like alcohol, gas, income, etc.

stangstevers
    I’d rather pay taxes on vices like beer than almost half my bonus eaten by both governments. They took a well equipped Hyundai from me this year on that lol