Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Stripped Bolt head > Caliper Dampner 2013 Lincoln MKX

Stripped Bolt head > Caliper Dampner 2013 Lincoln MKX

Hey Guys, doing the rear brakes on my Lincoln. Completed one side, but have run into a stubborn bolt on the lower Caliper/slider pin.

Tried heat and pounding the caliper with hammer. Tried vice grips as well. This dampner/bolt combo is only supposed to be torqued to about 19 lb/ft...so not sure how it's become so stuck. Unfortunately, the bolt head is now somewhat stripped as well.

I'm thinking of cutting off the dampner piece and then trying a special socket designed to remove stripped bolts.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Here's a video to give an idea of what I'm talking about.....

Where are you applying heat, and what portion are you trying to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Where are you applying heat, and what portion are you trying to remove?
    Applied heat to bolt head (closest to caliper bracket) and the base of the caliper bracket (where bolt enters). Because this is a combined caliper bolt/anti vibration dampner, you can only get a box head wrench (wish I had bought the Line type wrench now as it levers 3 sides of the bolt) on the bolt head. I believe at the end of the bolt that connects to the anti-vibration/dampner piece, it has a torx T30. I may try using that, but I"m doubting I"ll be able to get enough force into the T30 head to turn the entire piece.

If I decide to hack off the dampner end at the bolt head, then I'll try a specialty socket to try and get the bolt out....hopefully without snapping the head. Can't believe its so stuck....

Apply heat where the damper bolts on, and remove that, then you should be able to get a 10mm socket on the caliper bolt and break it free, if not, apply more heat only at the base where the bolt goes through the bracket

^^^^ I'll give that shot. Thanks.

Good news, unscrewed the dampner/anti-vibration device and then took the hacksaw to the extension piece that the Dampner attached to, exposing the bolt head. Applied heat, and then took the special socket for stripped bolt heads and with a little umph broke the bolt free. Woohoo! Rear brakes are now done, onto the fronts.