Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Epoxy or Paint For Concrete Floor?

Epoxy or Paint For Concrete Floor?

Leaning towards an epoxy coating vs. "epoxy paint" but looking for some feedback on what some have used on concrete. I have roughly 2,400 square feet to cover which currently has loose (in spots) paint so I'll be looking at renting a commercial sander to prep the surface. What brand product(s)? Purchased from? What quantity was it available in? Colours? Tips?

Vinyl flooring or tiles. I have yet to see an epoxy floor in a residential garage last more than a season or two before cracking and peeling.

If you dare to go down that road. Prep, prep and more prep.... Stay away from the crap the big box stores sell. As mentioned, check out the Garage Journal.

Oh, porcelain tiles FTW!

My buddy went to Garage Living and had them do it. All I can is wow. What a transformation. Not cheap but saves you a ton of headache. The garage concrete was 45-50 yrs old and they transformed it. https://www.garageliving.com/york-re...RoCa4sQAvD_BwE

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Vinyl flooring or tiles. I have yet to see an epoxy floor in a residential garage last more than a season or two before cracking and peeling.
    I did mine 3yrs ago using concrete paint, bought chips and clear epoxy seperate.

98% has held up perfectly, only problem areas I have is my own doing. I slide a stupid concrete fountain on the floor and it scrapped up the epoxy, and I didn’t fix it (ofcourse) and water has gotten under it and lifted in a small area (maybe a 6”x4” area)

I’ll fix in the spring but otherwise I’d do it again no issue. It’s holding up great.

My house was 2yrs old when I didn’t it, no cracks and no oil on the ground so I’m sure that helped.

I porcelain tiled mine, couldn’t be happier with it

Mustang Occasionally
    Concrete floor paint looks really clean and is easy to maintain. It's certainly a good hold-over until you decided what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 03svt View Post
    I did mine 3yrs ago using concrete paint, bought chips and clear epoxy seperate.

98% has held up perfectly, only problem areas I have is my own doing. I slide a stupid concrete fountain on the floor and it scrapped up the epoxy, and I didn’t fix it (ofcourse) and water has gotten under it and lifted in a small area (maybe a 6”x4” area)

I’ll fix in the spring but otherwise I’d do it again no issue. It’s holding up great.

My house was 2yrs old when I didn’t it, no cracks and no oil on the ground so I’m sure that helped.
    Where did you purchase? Brand? etc. etc.

I'll check Garage Journal as some have suggested.

I'd have it done professionally but covering 2,400 square feet or so would most likely be pricey. Guess I'll be renting a sander to remove the existing paint and then clean, clean and clean some more prior to laying a coating down.

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
    Where did you purchase? Brand? etc. etc.
    From depot, can’t remember the brand, probably Behr. Put on the flakes, then the clear Epoxy on top.

I did two coats of the clear, that alone was like 450$ if I remember correctly, but I think that’s what is
    Saving it.

Ours cars are parked inside all year, no issues other than the one I created.