Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Cherokee or explorer? I need something bigger than my escape

Grand Cherokee or explorer? I need something bigger than my escape

Looking for some recommendations. We currently have an 09 escape limited and love it. It’s 4wd and awesome in the snow and won’t get another vehicle without it. It is starting to show its age when trying to pull my loaded 16.5’ boat and full of camping stuff. We just need something bigger. The vehicles at the top of my list are 2015 Ford Explorer or Jeep Grand Cherokee both with either 4wd or awd (for winter and boat Ramps). I’m leaning more towards the explorer and a big reason is the 3rd row seating. Anyone had either of these vehicles and how did things work out? I’m not buying new because the prices are crazy and we don’t put more than 10k kms a year on it. My wife works a 5 min walk from home. So it mostly goes back and forth to the hockey rink, baseball diamonds and then camping in the summer. Warranty doesn’t matter to me either as I repair everything myself. I have searched and really haven’t found many major issues with either vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Both seem good and it’s really a matter of preference I think. We ended up with an 18 GC after we found ourselves needing more room, and I also wanted a bigger vehicle for towing as I intend to get a 19-21’ boat in the near future. Only thing I don’t like about the Fords is that the awd system doesn’t seem to be the best, I’ve heard of issues with the ptu/transfer cases, also, if you end up with a 3.5 I guess the water pump is a horrible, horrible job, but it’s good for 200k so you should be fine. I also prefer the strength of the Jeep over the Explorer, as the Explorer is fwd based.
    FWIW I just got back from the mall and our average L/100km was 12.7, mostly city.
    Last edited by Ponyryd; 10-20-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling was horrible

03svt
    I’ve had a 16 XLT and now a 18 Sport, with regards to what ponyryd mentioned about its AWD and traction I’d have to agree, but with good snows it was never an issue, I’m sure comparable to your escape.

Only have 10k on our Sport but our 16 had no issues.

I felt the 3.5 in my 16 XLT was slightly under powered, could have just been me going between it and my F150 but something to consider.

Absolutely loved my 14 mkt with the eco boost. (Same platform as the explorer.) was better optioned for the price than the GC that I looked at at the same time.
    Only reason we traded was to get more towing with the truck.
    Both my wife and I miss it.

Personally I would go with the Grand Cherokee, just a better design in my opinion. As stated before, RWD based and overall more robust vehicle. Also feel like the interior is much nicer as well.

That said, I would suggest picking a day with your wife and go test drive a couple examples of both on the same day so all impressions are fresh in your minds. That should help cement your decision based on your preferences.
    FABMAN

Thanks for the responses. I totally agree that Cherokee is built tougher and more like a truck. The Cherokee can tow around 1300lbs more, but I need a bigger family vehicle for %98 of year and 2% to tow my boat safely. I have really been looking into both vehicles and neither really have any major issues. I still have to drive Cherokee but I have driven an explorer.

I purchased a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Sterling Edition back at the begining of July this year. I have the V6 Pentastar with the 8 Speed Auto. The power of this engine surprised me when I first got it. Very peppy and smooth shifts. I love the way it drives. It feels tough like a Truck but at the same time Luxurious. There is plenty of room for passengers and to haul stuff. The uConnect system is also very good. Better then the Sync systems I have had in Fords.

I can't wait for a good snow storm to see how she is in the snow. Already swapped to winter rims yesterday.

2024 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red - Performance Package - Nite Pony Package - Active Exhaust - Recaro Seats - Magneride - H-Pipe
    2023 Ford F150 XLT - Agate Black - Powerboost - Black Appearance Package - Black Rhino Atlas Wheels (18X9) - BF Goodrich K02 (275,70,R18)

I have a '17 Explorer and went with that because I got the 7 passenger version. I call it the school bus.

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I have a '17 Explorer and went with that because I got the 7 passenger version. I call it the school bus.
    Ordered our sport with buckets and console in the back seat and totally regret it... should have got the 7 passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    This is a big plus for me. I need space for my dog so I actually want the bench and not buckets for the second row. Also if we go anywhere and one of my boys want s to bring a friend we won’t have to take two cars anymore.