Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's been a couple weeks since the last one so was overdue - RIP. Pittsburgh shooting

Club Supporter

It's been a couple weeks since the last one so was overdue - RIP. Pittsburgh shooting

RIP to the victims.

Several dead in 'horrific’ Pittsburgh synagogue shooting; suspected identified

A gunman man yelling, “All Jews must die,” stormed a Pittsburgh synagogue during Saturday services and shot worshipers, killing at least eight and wounding six including four police officers before he was arrested, local authorities and media said.

“It’s a very horrific crime scene, one of the worst that I’ve seen, and I’ve been on some plane crashes,” Pittsburgh public safety director Wendell Hissrich told a news conference near the scene.

“This falls under hate crime,” he said, adding there was no active threat to the community and that the shooter had been taken to a hospital. The Federal Bureau of Investigation will lead the probe into the attack.

A “bearded heavy-set white male” was in custody, KDKA television said, citing police sources saying the gunman walked into the building and yelled “All Jews must die.”

A federal law enforcement official told Reuters that at least 8 people were killed.

The shooting triggered security alerts at houses of worship around the country, and follows a spate of pipe bombs found mailed in recent days to prominent political figures, mostly Democrats including former President Barack Obama.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center said it was treating multiple patients at UPMC Presbyterian.

CNN and MSNBC identified the suspect as a 46-year-old Pittsburgh man, Robert Bowers. Reuters could not immediately confirm the suspect’s identity.

A social media post by someone with that name on Saturday said the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society “likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.”

MSNBC said the attacker was armed with AR-15 rifle and two handguns.

Police surrounded the Tree of Life synagogue in the city’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood, a heavily Jewish area.

The synagogue was holding a Shabbat religious service at the time. Police are normally only present at the synagogue for security on high holidays, Michael Eisenberg, former president of the synagogue, told KDKA.

“On a day like today, the door is open, it’s a religious service, you can walk in and out,” he said.

Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defemation League, called the shooting an “anti-Semitic attack.” Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was heartbroken by the Pittsburgh shooting, describing the attack as “horrendous anti-Semitic brutality.”

Around the time of the shooting, three congregations would be using the building, Eisenberg said. The Tree of Life congregation would have about 40 people present, another group meeting for Sabbath services in the basement would have 30 to 40 people and a third Jewish congregation meeting for a study session would have about 15 people. A common atrium area would be busy with people milling around, he added.

Most of the congregants were older people, according to a former rabbi interviewed by local media.

Shortly after reports of the shooting emerged, U.S. President Donald Trump said in a tweet he was watching what he described as a “devastating” situation.

Trump told reporters later in the morning the killings might have been prevented if there had been an armed guard in the building.

“If they had some kind of a protection inside the temple maybe it could have been a much more different situation, they didn’t,” he said when asked about a possible link to U.S. gun laws.

The Tree of Life synagogue describes itself on its website as a conservative congregation that is traditional, progressive and egalitarian.

Terrible situation. RIP to all those killed. Shouldn’t need to have an armed guard at a religious service though.

R.I.P. to those so senselessly taken.

Terrible event, you should be able to worship in peace.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quikgt View Post
    Terrible situation. RIP to all those killed. Shouldn’t need to have an armed guard at a religious service though.
    Insanity rules when one has to suggest a solution that armed guards are needed at a place of worship.

The root causes to the mayhem happening in the world today has been brewing for decades.
    No easy fix at this point

Sad to hear all this senseless violence.

And to add to the sencless violence it took a matter of hours (probably less) for the this to turn political with the accusations of racisam leveled at anyone not left of Center as well as the gun control advocates and the media with “find a way to blame Trump”

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    According to the media, no matter what happens its Trumps fault. No matter what Trump does it's bad.

I had a post game beer and discussion with a few of my leftie friends the other night. Lately I've been hard pressed to bite my tongue when Trudeau love or Trump hate comes up. It started with climate change, to which I said I was a skeptic that it's human influenced. I was pounced on by all 5. "don't you beleive the climate is changing?"

Sure I do, where we're sitting right now used to be under a mile of ice. In actuality we're coming out of an ice age now, oh and by the way CO2 levels only started rising after gradual temperature rise. CO2 is under 2% of the atmosphere and the human contribution is well under 1%, less than typical volcanic activity. Water is also a greenhouse gas and there's a hell of a lot more airbourne water vapor than CO2. That lead to insults on my intelligence, and then misdirection to animal extinction and deforestation. I countered with' yep dinosaurs are dead and deforestation is at the hands of chainsaws and slash burning.

One of them, a professor (indoctrinator) no less then asked, don't you listen to the news? Implying that unless I watch/consume MSM I'm misinformed. He then did a smart phone search and pulled up a Huffington post article.

This lead to Trudeau polices, immigration, and touched on a few more of my favorites.

I may have been voted off the island.
    Regarding climate change I love to bring up the reports by the Danish Meterolical Institute, a government agency of Denmark. Denmark also controls Greenland and research the ice sheets all year long.

In 2016 the Greenland ice sheets actually increased over the average for the previous ten years ( approximately 10 years).
    This information does not compute with their thought patterns. The other is to ask them to google a University of Alberts study regarding farms on Greenland in th 1500 s. This would imply that Greenland was previously warm enough to support farming, close to the ocean.

Also the sun is predicted to enter a long period where sun spot activity will be inactive. This is predicted to bring on a cooling period. The other side will say see our efforts have been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Insanity rules when one has to suggest a solution that armed guards are needed at a place of worship.
    I don't expect this to change, and in fact, it may get worse. Sad, but unless people start caring more about life and others lives, this will continue. I don't understand what drives people to do things like this other then pure hate and anger and a complete dis-regard for life.

There's no way to stop it. People that are determined to go out and kill others, will find a way to get the weapon(s) they need. Armed guards at places of worship as you said is insane, same for schools, malls, and other public places, but that's where were headed more and more, and especially south of the border.

Not even sure the death penalty would have an effect, since many of these attackers have a death wish themselves.