Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's been a couple weeks since the last one so was overdue - RIP. Pittsburgh shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    Actual crime stats are way down. Crimes are just more reported, and the presentation is curated to fit given narratives.
    post was stating crime stats were down.
    others asid there were not, truth is crime stats are down. I dont see why there is argument there, he never said guns specificly

in terms of gun crime Gang violence far far outweighs "mass shootings"

Mass shootings are no more prelivent now then they were say 3 years ago.

its also inaccurat that the USA has more than any other nation. allot of the stats that back that up dont factor in population or other factors.

and no im not going to bother posting every single stat, its all free on the internet for anyone to see.
    been down that road too many times only to be told that somone who worked at the source once had an ex wife whose sisters, brother in law lived next to a lady who owned a dog that once shit on the lawn of a racist therefore the source is not reliable.

question everyone is beating around teh bush about is are guns the cause? answer is still no and the fact that Cali has some of the strictest gun laws in the states backs that up.

another horrable tragety that wont cause any movement to a resolve because too many choose to use the tagity to grandstand political pandering

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    post was stating crime stats were down.
    others asid there were not, truth is crime stats are down. I dont see why there is argument there, he never said guns specificly

In a post about a mass shooting, the inference being made that the media is blowing this out of proportion

in terms of gun crime Gang violence far far outweighs "mass shootings"

Which still points to a gun problem

Perhaps more frequent, or prevalent was the wrong quantifier. Deadlier seems to be factually sound https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...esearch-215678

its also inaccurat that the USA has more than any other nation. allot of the stats that back that up dont factor in population or other factors.

I said developed nation, yes many South American nations being ravaged by war and drugs have more gun violence but I really wouldn't use that as a "we it all good here" rationale.

and no im not going to bother posting every single stat, its all free on the internet for anyone to see.
    been down that road too many times only to be told that somone who worked at the source once had an ex wife whose sisters, brother in law lived next to a lady who owned a dog that once shit on the lawn of a racist therefore the source is not reliable.'

I agreed with your statistics, what I'm debating is the interpretation that they point everything being alright, or at the vary least not cause for alarm

question everyone is beating around teh bush about is are guns the cause? answer is still no and the fact that Cali has some of the strictest gun laws in the states backs that up.

Located directly next to states with minimal gun control, its a national issue that cannot be totally eradicated at a state level

another horrable tragety that wont cause any movement to a resolve because too many choose to use the tagity to grandstand political pandering

Because no one is willing to accept that guns are the problem
    Answers above
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

In 2015 there were 2 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.
    In 2018 there were (so far) 4 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.

The numbers, if you want to use 5+ dead as the criteria are:
    2015 there were 14 mass shootings
    2018 there were (so far) 12 mass shootings

So I guess it depends how many does it take to be considered a "mass shooting".
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    gun crime info:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/7872/...-aaron-bandler

death by fire arm typically includes suicides btw

strict gun control means soft targets, plenty of examples of armed folks defending themselves and minimizing carnage.
    This is an article not statistics. The first sentence is "The Left is incessantly attempting to figure out new ways to take guns from law-abiding American citizens" you know the information is not being presented without slant or bias. But to try to understand your point more, I read on and was struck by point 6.

According to point number 6, there is a study by the CDC that shows as gun ownership increased gun crimes went down. This was fascinating to me and would totally lend credit to you points so I clicked the CDC hyperlink in your article so I could learn more since this is contradictory to my thoughts. Clicking on link that says it is statistic conducted by the CDC actually links to another article by something called the CNS which claims the CDC data (not listed or linked) supports an article by Breibart titled "Gun violences decreases with gun ownership" . I tried to find the CDC link but any hyperlink I clicked on the second article was flagged by my virus scanner...

The rest of the article is interesting with respect to gun bans not affecting gun crime but is more criticism without causation. My question or counterpoint would be to what due they attribute the decrease and low numbers of gun crime in Australia or Britain if they do not attribute it to a weapons ban?

Whereto your point about firearm deaths including suicide, the statistics I posted from the FBI were for homicide and manslaughter related gun deaths not including suicide data. The ramifications that somehow suicide by gun signifies less of a firearms issue than homicide or manslaughter by a gun is an issue I really don't wish to even wade in to.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    In 2015 there were 2 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.
    In 2018 there were (so far) 4 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.

The numbers, if you want to use 5+ dead as the criteria are:
    2015 there were 14 mass shootings
    2018 there were (so far) 12 mass shootings

So I guess it depends how many does it take to be considered a "mass shooting".
    part of the problem since it varies depending on who is using the stats to prove what point

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    This is an article not statistics. The first sentence is "The Left is incessantly attempting to figure out new ways to take guns from law-abiding American citizens" you know the information is not being presented without slant or bias. But to try to understand your point more, I read on and was struck by point 6.

According to point number 6, there is a study by the CDC that shows as gun ownership increased gun crimes went down. This was fascinating to me and would totally lend credit to you points so I clicked the CDC hyperlink in your article so I could learn more since this is contradictory to my thoughts. Clicking on link that says it is statistic conducted by the CDC actually links to another article by something called the CNS which claims the CDC data (not listed or linked) supports an article by Breibart titled "Gun violences decreases with gun ownership" . I tried to find the CDC link but any hyperlink I clicked on the second article was flagged by my virus scanner...

The rest of the article is interesting with respect to gun bans not affecting gun crime but is more criticism without causation. My question or counterpoint would be to what due they attribute the decrease and low numbers of gun crime in Australia or Britain if they do not attribute it to a weapons ban?

Whereto your point about firearm deaths including suicide, the statistics I posted from the FBI were for homicide and manslaughter related gun deaths not including suicide data. The ramifications that somehow suicide by gun signifies less of a firearms issue than homicide or manslaughter by a gun is an issue I really don't wish to even wade in to.
    and what is always 100# ignored in the argument that less guns equal less gun crime, is that overall crime rate does not change and killing with other means increases every time

yes Australia had a buy back program after one major attack that was a statistical irregularity. what happened. well crime stayed the same and instead of mass shootings (in accurate because mass shootings {3+ deaths} continued at about the same rate as before.) what increased was cases of locking the doors on buildings and burning groups of people alive inside.

is that better than death buy gun? or maybe points to the fact that people are broken and will go to great lengths to commit harm to others, which would indicate an underlying issue that isn't an inanimate object that requires someone to load, point and pull the trigger

funny I never say anyone blaming pipes when a crazy person mailed a bunch of pipe bombs, still don't see anyone blaming knives even though they kill more people every year in the US than long guns, no one in the drunk driving thread was blaming alcohol for those needless loss of life

funny I never say anyone blaming pipes when a crazy person mailed a bunch of pipe bombs, still don't see anyone blaming knives even though they kill more people every year in the US than long guns, no one in the drunk driving thread was blaming alcohol for those needless loss of life
    Correct, Rifles and Shotguns combined are less than half the fatalities of Knives, which are around 1600 last year. I'd be willing to concede to a ban on handguns based on that data.

There are also stats that show guns in the hands of responsible, law abiding uses save more lives.

“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsi...ns-save-lives/

There is no proof that a gun ban will stop law breakers for acquiring guns. And if they are law breakers then they are not likely to turn in guns they may already have.

More info needs to come out before we can make definitive decisions on this case by a bunch of the last shootings were done by people who should not have guns and either acquired them illegally or the law makers dropped the ball

…either acquired them illegally or the law makers dropped the ball
    THIS!
    This is what people want a crackdown on.
    -Don____________