Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: It's been a couple weeks since the last one so was overdue - RIP. Pittsburgh shooting

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Mass shootings occur so frequently they don't even register that much any more. Didn't see anything here on the yoga studio mass shooting in FL last week.
    Only 2 victims. Only reason that made the press at all was because the shooter was confronted by a man wielding a broom!
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Only 2 victims. Only reason that made the press at all was because the shooter was confronted by a man wielding a broom!
    I posted a link yesterday lists all 308 or so mass shooting in the USA for 2018 check back a page - still have month and a half to the new year...

edit: does not include the large amount of suicides with guns... a lot of people die by the gun down there

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    True, but as a mass shooting I believe there were an additional 5 victims shot but expected to survive.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Because my belief is that someone saying “overall crime is way down” is somewhat inaccurate and that while the rate decreased somewhat substantially the instances stayed the same or increased. Which I believe points to an issue with guns.
    Agreed - the data only makes sense when statistical context is added.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Agreed - the data only makes sense when statistical context is added.
    Ah, initially thought you were coming after me for trying to add context lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

c-g04-eng.jpg

seems interesting to me there is no drastic drop in murders by gun in Canada even though our gun laws got more stringent, also interesting to note that stabbings in Canada occur almost as regularly, and actual raising above guns multiple times, one can almost make the argument that if people cant get a gun they still find other ways of hurting people

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    c-g04-eng.jpg

seems interesting to me there is no drastic drop in murders by gun in Canada even though our gun laws got more stringent, also interesting to note that stabbings in Canada occur almost as regularly, and actual raising above guns multiple times, one can almost make the argument that if people cant get a gun they still find other ways of hurting people
    For the gun stat, it appeared to be trending downward generally until the "summer of the gun" anomaly which I believe normalized to previous trend rates until summer 2018, so a pre-1989 +0.7/100K reduction to average between 0.5-0.6/100K post 1989 is statistically significant.

I'm not sure the stabbing stat is statistically comparable to the shooting stat because there exponentially more knives in circulation due to it not being regulated/licenced and primary use is for food/household/work/recreation purposes versus guns which have one ultimate purpose (hence the regulation). The knife data may be positive since there may be way more knives in circulation in 2016 vs 1989, while stabbings decreased or at least stayed flat on a smoothed average basis.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    gotta look this over but thought I'd post for other eyes to scrutinize

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2010-2014.xls

this is interesting, Texas and Cali lead. One state with strict gun controls, the other not so much

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-12
    Looks like gun homicide relatively flat when 2014 adjusted out (could be an anomaly; post 2014 data needed to determine true longer term run rate trend).

Cali is #1 in population size and Texas is #2 although that does not explain all of the difference since you may expect the 3rd populated to be #3 (did not see it on the list). The top 3 states are either low gun control or surrounded by low gun control borders/states so I would think the inflow of freely available firearms would impact number of incidents upward in stricter gun control states since they're not geographic bubbles.