Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GT350 High Oil Consumption

[QUOTE=Ontariomystic;273780]Maybe I got this wrong. 0w, 5w, 10w all refers to the cold properties of the oil. Is it not the 20, 30, 40 number that determines its thickness? So 0w-20 or 5w-20 are basically the same where 0w-40 or 5w-40 would be much thicker and less prone to oil consumption.

Clarify if I'm wrong.[

sorry - when I mention 0w... I didn't mention the weight (the last two digit) the weight or thickness is the last two digits could be anything - yes your correct 5w-20 would be thinner than 0w-30 - the first two digits are the viscosity - the lower the viscosity the easier the engine is at startup especially the winter. This could be a factor for todays engineering as all components specked lighter and tighter eg oil pump-rings-bearings etc.- with that in mind viscosity could be a very important factor on todays engine. heavier weight say 40 or 50 weight may put a strain on the oil pump and may nor effectively get in the tight areas...

on these GT350's i have no idea what the problem is - my suggestion would be frequent oil changes - engines making 400hp or more are more or less race cars - serious race car owners change the oil every race - if I was beating my car for a day on the track I would change my oil the next day regardless of intervals - Just like your tires and brakes break down after a hard day on the rack your engine oil will too. I dont know if this is the answer nor do i know the cars or the maintenance - it's mearly a suggestion. Manufacturs recommend oil for a reason - but these cars mentioned are a little beyond daily drivers with daily driver comfort...and if i owned one i would beat the snot out of it... lol

and change the oil often...lol ^^^

edit --- just a though I had, has anyone tried running the car full exhaust minus cats (if that's possible) I'm thinking high crank case pressure maybe...?
    Last edited by hammerhead; 11-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Only a res delete at joes , 2 oil changes at Markville in 2 months , didn’t trust it was done when he got it so immediately changed it . Glad he’s being diligent and documenting his oil changes at Ford , so they can’t blame 3rd party if something goes south .

Quote Originally Posted by Ontariomystic View Post
    I get all that, so doesn't the VII's breakdown process take a long time with all these high end synthetics? Where does the issue come from? lack of oil changes?

Synthetic oils do have a better temp/viscosity graph than conventional oils. But they rely on the same VIIs to formulate a multi-grade oil.

A lot of these viscosity issues would go away if we would ditch CAFE standards and go back to changing oil grades based on seasons. Multi-grade oils are like “all-season” tires. Not the best in winter OR summer, but a comprise between the two.
    -Don____________

I think there is still straight grades available even in synthetic....^^^^ I don't think oil is the issue with these 350 engines tho

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    To make a multi-grade oil, you take a single grade oil and add special polymer additives called viscosity index improvers, or VIIs.
    For example: a 10W30 starts off with a base SAE10 grade oil. The VIIs make it perform like a SAE30 grade oil at temperature.

Problem is when those VIIs break down, your multi-grade oil behaves as a single grade oil. In the case of a 5W oil it will behave as SAE5 at temperature.

VIIs explained:

To summarize: 0W and 5W manufacturer recommended oils are to meet CAFE standards and have nothing to do with "tighter engine" tolerances, etc.
    I HIGHLY doubt there are many people out there with GT350s running extended oil intervals to the point that the viscosity of the oil is changing much.

As someone else pointed out, cold-start wear is a big reason for the 'dual' weight oil.

Even if you put in fresh oil every day for the exact temperature of the air outside and how you're going to drive the car, you'd still be better off with a multi-weight oil because of the temperature change in your engine. (Unless you pre-heat your oil...)

I put 8,500km and 3 track days on my last oil. It was still within the recommended viscosity for that oil at 100*C.