[QUOTE=Ontariomystic;273780]Maybe I got this wrong. 0w, 5w, 10w all refers to the cold properties of the oil. Is it not the 20, 30, 40 number that determines its thickness? So 0w-20 or 5w-20 are basically the same where 0w-40 or 5w-40 would be much thicker and less prone to oil consumption.

Clarify if I'm wrong.[

sorry - when I mention 0w... I didn't mention the weight (the last two digit) the weight or thickness is the last two digits could be anything - yes your correct 5w-20 would be thinner than 0w-30 - the first two digits are the viscosity - the lower the viscosity the easier the engine is at startup especially the winter. This could be a factor for todays engineering as all components specked lighter and tighter eg oil pump-rings-bearings etc.- with that in mind viscosity could be a very important factor on todays engine. heavier weight say 40 or 50 weight may put a strain on the oil pump and may nor effectively get in the tight areas...

on these GT350's i have no idea what the problem is - my suggestion would be frequent oil changes - engines making 400hp or more are more or less race cars - serious race car owners change the oil every race - if I was beating my car for a day on the track I would change my oil the next day regardless of intervals - Just like your tires and brakes break down after a hard day on the rack your engine oil will too. I dont know if this is the answer nor do i know the cars or the maintenance - it's mearly a suggestion. Manufacturs recommend oil for a reason - but these cars mentioned are a little beyond daily drivers with daily driver comfort...and if i owned one i would beat the snot out of it... lol