Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  90
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Drive clean...

A lot of false or misleading info in that ‘speculative science’ discussion.

A catalytic converter is not that complicated. It does what it’s name says. It converts emissions using a catalyst into less harmful emissions. It does not eliminate emissions. Well, that would require some sort of a catalytic eliminator, which is a concept so ridiculous it makes me want to laugh out loud and chortle...
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    A lot of false or misleading info in that ‘speculative science’ discussion.

A catalytic converter is not that complicated. It does what it’s name says. It converts emissions using a catalyst into less harmful emissions. It does not eliminate emissions. Well, that would require some sort of a catalytic eliminator, which is a concept so ridiculous it makes me want to laugh out loud and chortle...
    I think they tried something like that with diesel and called it regen for short lol didn't last long and now they ammonia injection called DEF - does it work - some say not but the system is a real pain in the ass for trucking companies and very expensive to maintain. I think if I had a trucking company I would close the doors and let the suits Figure out how to get the freight to the shelve...CAT was the only smart one to get out of trucking all together
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I think they tried something like that with diesel and called it regen for short lol didn't last long and now they ammonia injection called DEF - does it work - some say not but the system is a real pain in the ass for trucking companies and very expensive to maintain. I think if I had a trucking company I would close the doors and let the suits Figure out how to get the freight to the shelve...CAT was the only smart one to get out of trucking all together
    All new trucks have a dpf (diesel particulate filter) and SCR (selective catylist reduction). To burn the soot in the filter the internal temperatures have to get very high to burn it to ash. Roughly 1100 degrees. With increasing the exhaust temp to that level brings on another issue. High Nox. So then SCR was introduced to inject urea into the exhaust stream to cool the exhaust. From a technical standpoint the air going into the air filter is dirtier than the air coming out the tail pipe as far as particles. This is obviously if it working correctly. The after treatment system requires very little maintenance but no one ever does it until there is a problem. Is it a perfect system, no, but it’s much better than not using it. Europe is fully embracing electric trucks right now. The entire market is going to change. They even have companies that can retro fit your old diesel powered truck to electric. It will take a while for that to come over here because we can’t support it yet.
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    All new trucks have a dpf (diesel particulate filter) and SCR (selective catylist reduction). To burn the soot in the filter the internal temperatures have to get very high to burn it to ash. Roughly 1100 degrees. With increasing the exhaust temp to that level brings on another issue. High Nox. So then SCR was introduced to inject urea into the exhaust stream to cool the exhaust. From a technical standpoint the air going into the air filter is dirtier than the air coming out the tail pipe as far as particles. This is obviously if it working correctly. The after treatment system requires very little maintenance but no one ever does it until there is a problem. Is it a perfect system, no, but it’s much better than not using it. Europe is fully embracing electric trucks right now. The entire market is going to change. They even have companies that can retro fit your old diesel powered truck to electric. It will take a while for that to come over here because we can’t support it yet.
    Very cool !
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

We've pretty much said once the all electric M2 is out and running we're going to replace our 4300's with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    We've pretty much said once the all electric M2 is out and running we're going to replace our 4300's with it.
    Thats pretty exciting - i didn't realize the electric trucks where that far advanced already seems like just a year ago freight liner announced this - it's a fairly short range will that be sufficient for your use - my wife drives a school bus i often said the new freight liner tech would be perfect for school buses - the only thing I can't imagine is how it will be possible to charge a large fleet I have a gazillion other questions too, but that's pretty exciting - do you think it would be wise to get rid of the diesel truck or will you hang onto it fr a while...? I'm curious too will you getting the cascadia...?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Thats pretty exciting - i didn't realize the electric trucks where that far advanced already seems like just a year ago freight liner announced this - it's a fairly short range will that be sufficient for your use - my wife drives a school bus i often said the new freight liner tech would be perfect for school buses - the only thing I can't imagine is how it will be possible to charge a large fleet I have a gazillion other questions too, but that's pretty exciting - do you think it would be wise to get rid of the diesel truck or will you hang onto it fr a while...? I'm curious too will you getting the cascadia...?
    They will have supercharging stations. These in the future will be at ever loading dock. Buses are another thing going full electric. When the bus pulls up to a stop it will be under a supercharging station with very high voltage. Like I said earlier we don’t have the infrastructure to support it quite yet.

I’m not against electric vehicles, but guys, think about it, if were using less fuel and more hydro, imagine how crazy the rates will be in a few years with all that lost tax from fuel!!! The carbon tax is bad enough and it’s just begun, not to mention how high the hydro rates currently are in Ontario......

They will have supercharging stations. These in the future will be at ever loading dock. Buses are another thing going full electric. When the bus pulls up to a stop it will be under a supercharging station with very high voltage. Like I said earlier we don’t have the infrastructure to support it quite yet.
    this is pretty exciting to me - i've been a mechanic in the trucking industry since 94 - i've grown to hate working on trucks and have been working on trailers (mainly mobile) the last twenty years and have become very bored with it all as I plan to leave the industry - it all seems still far away but perhaps this could keep me in the industry - it all sounds great but does sound very expensive but the idea of no diesel fumes appeals to me i won't even work in a shop anymore mainly because of fumes...I remember many years ago CAT, i think was messing around with Hydrogen but i don't think it lasted too long...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I’m not against electric vehicles, but guys, think about it, if were using less fuel and more hydro, imagine how crazy the rates will be in a few years with all that lost tax from fuel!!! The carbon tax is bad enough and it’s just begun, not to mention how high the hydro rates currently are in Ontario......
    Oh for sure. And the hydro has to be made somewhere. Also the making of the batteries currently is bad on the environment and people. Most mining is done in 3rd world countries with no regulations and not much worker safety if any.