Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  90
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Drive clean...

I don't disagree with any of that. There are also issues and costs involved with a gasser when it's done.
    Point is: the electric vehicle is not WORSE than the gasser as claimed.

Internal combustion engine vehicles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. What we are seeing now is the beginning of electric vehicles finally becoming a viable alternative. But there's a whole big infrastructure that needs to be added/upgraded/revised to make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Looks like a lot of time to read in those links...
    that's why i provided the summary numbers produced by the enginerd
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by kbbroiler View Post
    Hey guys. Going to go to Ontario Service on Friday. I’m doing my Drivers Licence, Health card, my daily car, my bike and my Mustang. So any reports from the field?
    Many of us have already gone and registered our cars, no issues reported so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

^yep, no issues, easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that. There are also issues and costs involved with a gasser when it's done.
    Point is: the electric vehicle is not WORSE than the gasser as claimed.

Internal combustion engine vehicles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. What we are seeing now is the beginning of electric vehicles finally becoming a viable alternative. But there's a whole big infrastructure that needs to be added/upgraded/revised to make it better.

that's why i provided the summary numbers produced by the enginerd
    That’s possible but there’s no way to know what the actual impact is that they have on the environment during production, or in the long run. They’ve really been hyped-up very well, but they’re not nearly as clean as people think and they aren’t charged by magic, the power needs to come from somewhere.

....they aren’t charged by magic, the power needs to come from somewhere.
    I’m not ignorant to the fact that they require power to come from somewhere. But that ‘somewhere’ has a lot more clean options than gasoline. Again, we aren’t there yet, but it’s the right path.

Full disclosure: install solar panels on the roof of the garage, charge a power pack during the day, use power pack to re-charge electric car over night, rinse repeat.... seems kinda magical to me. I know, I know, it’s cost prohibitive at the moment, but it’s doable.
    -Don____________

I’m not ignorant to the fact that they require power to come from somewhere. But that ‘somewhere’ has a lot more clean options than gasoline. Again, we aren’t there yet, but it’s the right path.

Full disclosure: install solar panels on the roof of the garage, charge a power pack during the day, use power pack to re-charge electric car over night, rinse repeat.... seems kinda magical to me. I know, I know, it’s cost prohibitive at the moment, but it’s doable.
    I really think people are going to be more disappointed with the battery life and how it reacts in severe weather - i haven't been keeping up with the progress of late but from reading in the past China reports battery life to be only 5-8 years which contradicts what i read in one of the shared posts here - china is big on electric cars and the government has given big incentives to spawn manufacturing perhaps that's why Tesla is so interested in china among other reasons - lots of lithium - cheap non-unionized mentality. I also read that Quebec is leading the way somewhat in ev's and one of the biggest complaints is full charged battery in severe weather are depleted by 50% - now factor that in with age and 5years may be the limit for a descent ev in Canada... the first Tesla should be reaching 5 years of age if not just beyond - it would be interesting to hear from owners now and what they think and if they get used daily? I think some of those shared posts are old because Germany announced not too long ago that it will phasing out all coal fired plants - as much as I embrace the idea and feel some what sad at the thought of losing the internal combustion engine i do believe battery is not the answer for the survival of the EV. it will need a direct power source or a complete slow down and change to transit - for example i use to drive electric warehouse mobility equipment - my Raymond reach had a top speed of i believe 12mph - the machine was large and heavy but stayed full charged for up to 10 hours deep charge standard batteries - cut that weight in half and maybe pick up 12 mph to twenty for and change its use to transport people in groups like public transit in a steady slowpoke - perhaps guided and powered with a wire to eliminate the need for a driver much like some warehouse equipment. How people work needs to change - at some point we need to stop building roads and mobility infrastructure I fail to see how constant expansion is good for the environment. Miles and miles of asphalt and cement and well as wires ad pipes under ground...to be continued...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

You’d need some serious solar power to charge a car, and have you ever priced rooftop solar panels? They’re pretty expensive and I dunno about where you live but around here roofs seem to last about 10 years, so you’d need the solar guys to come out and yank the panels to do the shingles. A barn roof or something would be better but solar panels have a life span as well.
    I agree they’re on the right path but a lot of the population think all they need to do is buy electric and “drive for freeeee”. Which may seem to be true if you get a Tesla or can charge at work, but Tesla is subsidized by the gov’t (or at least they used to be), and if it’s being charged at work then that cost will be passed on to whoever is paying for your goods/services. There is no free ride as most of us already know.
    I suppose I’m just sceptical and it seems like we’re going to great lengths to promote the lesser of two evils. We have a lot of natural resources, enough to power our vehicles for our lifetime and beyond, and if we lose that huge tax-grab, what will the gov’t do then? Well we all know what they’ll do-tax hydro even more! It’s and endless cycle, nothing is free, we will always pay.

If the federal and provincial levels of government were serious about climate change and carbon tax and cap and trade the would legislate that any new government buildings, offices, schools, hospitals, etc. be equipped with solar panels and geo-thermal hvac systems. The could also legislate that any new commercial buildings must have the same thing. Just imagine if Square One, Vaughan Mills and the Eaton Centre, to name only three, had their roofs covered with solar panels. Sorry, I'm just rambling.

You’d need some serious solar power to charge a car, and have you ever priced rooftop solar panels? They’re pretty expensive and I dunno about where you live but around here roofs seem to last about 10 years, so you’d need the solar guys to come out and yank the panels to do the shingles. A barn roof or something would be better but solar panels have a life span as well.
    I agree they’re on the right path but a lot of the population think all they need to do is buy electric and “drive for freeeee”. Which may seem to be true if you get a Tesla or can charge at work, but Tesla is subsidized by the gov’t (or at least they used to be), and if it’s being charged at work then that cost will be passed on to whoever is paying for your goods/services. There is no free ride as most of us already know.
    I suppose I’m just sceptical and it seems like we’re going to great lengths to promote the lesser of two evils. We have a lot of natural resources, enough to power our vehicles for our lifetime and beyond, and if we lose that huge tax-grab, what will the gov’t do then? Well we all know what they’ll do-tax hydro even more! It’s and endless cycle, nothing is free, we will always pay.

FYI I have several clients with solar panels on their roofs. Minimum, in this group, is $50K....oh and each of them had to have roofs of less than 5 years old or the company would not install the panels.

The micro fit program isn't worth it. The fee being paid for the electricity produced is peanuts. The utility companies must approve the installation...can't have too many, cause they would have no-one to sell to if everyone had solar panels.

^Thx Kev, that’s good info!

Never mind the fact that they look like shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    If the federal and provincial levels of government were serious about climate change and carbon tax and cap and trade the would legislate that any new government buildings, offices, schools, hospitals, etc. be equipped with solar panels and geo-thermal hvac systems. The could also legislate that any new commercial buildings must have the same thing. Just imagine if Square One, Vaughan Mills and the Eaton Centre, to name only three, had their roofs covered with solar panels. Sorry, I'm just rambling.
    We have a bunch of schools in the board I work for outfitted with panels, going on 5+ years already.