Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  90
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Drive clean...

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Oh for sure. And the hydro has to be made somewhere. Also the making of the batteries currently is bad on the environment and people. Most mining is done in 3rd world countries with no regulations and not much worker safety if any.
    yes i was reading about a mine a year or so ago i think it's in south america maybe chile with a big deposit that's so deep it's very difficult to mine - it kind reminded me of the tar sands and i wondered if it was worth it - its strange times ahead i almost feel like a few older generations are just going to get pushed aside and left behind....lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Oh for sure. And the hydro has to be made somewhere. Also the making of the batteries currently is bad on the environment and people. Most mining is done in 3rd world countries with no regulations and not much worker safety if any.
    Yes that’s another problem but I didn’t want to bring it up, lol. Everyone thinks these vehicles are the best thing ever but the reality of it is that they have damaged the environment more during their production than a gasser would in 200,000km.

Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Thats pretty exciting - i didn't realize the electric trucks where that far advanced already seems like just a year ago freight liner announced this - it's a fairly short range will that be sufficient for your use - my wife drives a school bus i often said the new freight liner tech would be perfect for school buses - the only thing I can't imagine is how it will be possible to charge a large fleet I have a gazillion other questions too, but that's pretty exciting - do you think it would be wise to get rid of the diesel truck or will you hang onto it fr a while...? I'm curious too will you getting the cascadia...?
    We're a construction company and our service area is typically 3 hours. No real need for a highway tractor at this time. We have a couple large cubes on 4300 chassis, honestly between diesel fuel prices and maintenance theres been no savings on fuel vs v10 gas chassis trucks. We're talking phasing them out once the 4300's hit the optimal hold (400k km or so) and replacing with electric M2's if theyre available at that time. Honestly wish the E-M2 was ready to go now since I need a new (to us) chassis for our hi lift dump which sees super minimal mileage and would perfect for EV tech. Will have to wait and see how PTO is handled with EV trucks, imagine running an electrically drive PTO will destroy batteries life. May be a while before our dumps and boom trucks are EV....
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Yes that’s another problem but I didn’t want to bring it up, lol. Everyone thinks these vehicles are the best thing ever but the reality of it is that they have damaged the environment more during their production than a gasser would in 200,000km.
    Source?

The US Department of Energy commissioned a report that indicates the opposite of your claim.
    https://greet.es.anl.gov/files/vehic..._manufacturing
    Juan Pablo Angulo, Mechatronic engineer, crunches some numbers from that report and summarizes the following:
    After 10 years (190,000 km):
    Electric Vehicle:
    50 GJ + (13.5 GJ x 10) = 185 GJ
    3.25 + (2.75 x 10) = 30.75 tons of CO2

Internal Combustion Vehicle:
    34 GJ + (21.3 GJ x 10) = 247GJ
    2 + (5.3 x 10) = 55 tons of CO2
    https://www.quora.com/How-much-energ...n-electric-car

The energy and resources required to produce a gasser plus the gas it consumes over those 200,000 km will be more than for an electric vehicle.
    While it DOES require more energy and resources to produce an electric vehicle, it makes up for it in the operation over 200,000 km

Most mining is done in 3rd world countries with no regulations and not much worker safety if any.
    Australia
    Chile
    Argentina
    China

Top 4 lithium mining countries, with Australia at the top. Hardly 3rd world countries, but I will give you the miner and worker safety records for Chile and China are not great.
    https://investingnews.com/daily/reso...ing-countries/
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    We're a construction company and our service area is typically 3 hours. No real need for a highway tractor at this time. We have a couple large cubes on 4300 chassis, honestly between diesel fuel prices and maintenance theres been no savings on fuel vs v10 gas chassis trucks. We're talking phasing them out once the 4300's hit the optimal hold (400k km or so) and replacing with electric M2's if theyre available at that time. Honestly wish the E-M2 was ready to go now since I need a new (to us) chassis for our hi lift dump which sees super minimal mileage and would perfect for EV tech. Will have to wait and see how PTO is handled with EV trucks, imagine running an electrically drive PTO will destroy batteries life. May be a while before our dumps and boom trucks are EV....
    That sounds like a good plan I was wondering about PTO's - hydraulic lift gates and air brakes amoung other things. Maybe you could use a stand alone power source mounted to the truck that works on fuel for eg. I use (not so much anymore) a large stick welder that doubles as a generator by Teledyne thing makes phase three power on the generator side - it is powers with a 20 hours Honda and gets decent fuel economy . use it to power my Lincoln 6o plasma cutter also poweresd a customers complete office when their was that big black out a few years ago in the summer - come to think of it that was my last vaca...lol its an awesome Machine an dive seen them mounted to trucks in construction related industry
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Interesting article. I wonder how many "climatologists" are just shrugging this off? Full steam ahead with renewable energy! Dam the consequences!

Hey guys. Going to go to Ontario Service on Friday. I’m doing my Drivers Licence, Health card, my daily car, my bike and my Mustang. So any reports from the field?

Quote Originally Posted by kbbroiler View Post
    Hey guys. Going to go to Ontario Service on Friday. I’m doing my Drivers Licence, Health card, my daily car, my bike and my Mustang. So any reports from the field?
    Hahaha sounds like you need a tent
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Source?

The US Department of Energy commissioned a report that indicates the opposite of your claim.
    https://greet.es.anl.gov/files/vehic..._manufacturing
    Juan Pablo Angulo, Mechatronic engineer, crunches some numbers from that report and summarizes the following:

https://www.quora.com/How-much-energ...n-electric-car

The energy and resources required to produce a gasser plus the gas it consumes over those 200,000 km will be more than for an electric vehicle.
    While it DOES require more energy and resources to produce an electric vehicle, it makes up for it in the operation over 200,000 km

Australia
    Chile
    Argentina
    China

Top 4 lithium mining countries, with Australia at the top. Hardly 3rd world countries, but I will give you the miner and worker safety records for Chile and China are not great.
    https://investingnews.com/daily/reso...ing-countries/
    Looks like a lot of time to read in those links, if there’s evidence supporting electrics as being cleaner I’m sure it’s possible, but for all the BS and poor driving range, as well as the increased initial cost I’ll stay with fossil fuels.

My source was an article I read a couple years ago, so things may have changed since then as battery production is of course always evolving. It stated there was huge damage to the environment during production of the batteries, as well as the cost of shipping the materials to the battery plant and getting the batteries from the plant to the manufacturer. Also the cost of disposing of the batteries when they’re depleted, which is usually 10-15 years. There was also stats on how damaging leaking batteries are to the environment in the event of a collision or vehicle fire.