Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Accident vs bicycle.

Accident vs bicycle.

So might be opening up myself for some bashing here but had an incident this morning.
    Driving down 2 lane highway following another truck after pickup food and supplies for my kids birthday

Food slid off the seat and I reached to catch it when I noticed the truck I front of me swerve sharply at the last second I saw a guy on a bike. My view of him was blocked by the other truck and the truck waited till the very last second to swerve around probably due to on coming traffic.

I think the truck scare the crap out of the kid or the pressure change from the wind (was a pretty wicked cross wind) either way he swerved even more into the lane (he was riding on the road side of the white line as it was) I breaked and swerved as far as I could without getting into oncoming traffic. But still clipped him with the mirror of the truck

I Stopped Immediately amd jumped out to make sure he was okay.

He never fell off the bike. And the mirror just clipped his arm. But hard enough to fold it in and break it

He stopped and said sorry. As did I. I asked him repeatedly if he was okay. He said yes. Arm a little sore but Said he was fine

Asked if he wanted me to call someone or take him in to be checked and he said no no really he was fine.

Offered him a ride home which he gladly accepted. So put his bike in the back of the truck and drove him “home” turns out he is from Sweden and staying/working with a local family

Got him home again asked if he was sure he was okay he said yes thanks for the ride. I unloaded his bike and turned to put the gate up and touno down and when I turned back he was already gone into the house.

Jesus I couldn’t stop shaking for an hour.
    Now I can’t help but wonder if I should have done something different. I mean his arm wasn’t broke he used it to climb into the truck.
    But I don’t really know what the proper protocol was. Should I have called someone? The police? Pressured him to get checked? So my anxiety is going full tilt

Not sure if I should follow up with him or just let it be. Neither of us asked for names or any info.

I always give bikes the full lane spent too much time riding myself not to. But just didn’t see him till the last min. And by then it was too late or head on into traffic.

Jesus. Pay attention out there half a second can change everything.

Mustang Occasionally
    First, accidents happen. You went above and beyond with ensuring he was ok and making sure he was safe.

The only thing I would suggest is calling the cops to report the incident, just to protect yourself.

Club Supporter
    Glad it wasn't worse and the kid was ok after it all. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Perhaps speak to an adult in the house (assuming someone there has guardianship).

well by kid I think he was in his 20s

Club Supporter
    Wasn't sure he was over 18 - I think your "kids" were mentioned then the bicyclist was also referred to as a kid (was thinking exchange student or something).

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, and I’m sure I would have done the same thing if it happened to me. Personally I think you did enough and I’m sure he was fine, I don’t think an arm injury would show up later, if he was hurt he woulda known it pretty quickly.

thanks for the input guys,

I know there was fault on both sides, and as Armen said accidents happen. but man I didn't sleep much last night, just the level of guilt, should have seen him sooner, should not have been following the other truck so close. ect ect.

damn I don't get how people can go out and hurt people on purpose and then live with themselves

If it’s really bothering you that much, head back to the house and check on him and the bike today, it might ease your mind.

Could have been much worse for all involved, kudos' on stopping to do the right thing.
    Alarming number of fail to remain accidents in the news as of late.

Had a kid riding his bike against traffic no hands .... steered way da fak away cuz there was no oncoming traffic , this story came to mind