Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7

Thread: My ram has a blower now

My ram has a blower now

not...

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a whine while driving the truck. Didn't think much of it.. but now with new tires that aren't so noisy it's driving me nuts. After some searching I found various opinions on what it could be.. here's some youtube vids where others have the same sound. Anyone dealt with this?

This vid shows it best.. seems he fixed it with replacing the idler pulley

'88 LX

the High Commanders mini van does the same thing until it is warm - never really gave it much thought

Is one of those yours? Easiest to diagnose by taking off the belt and running it, or if you’re sure it’s from the belt area, just get a long screwdriver or prybar, hold the tip on the suspected pulley bolt, hold the other end to your ear.

Idler pulley bearings failing has become a common job on many vehicles. As said above, either remove belt and spin pulleys by hand or sound out with a long screw driver or similar (be xxx careful).

Turns out idler and tensioner were noisy.. replaced the belt while I was there. That was annoying.

Don’t think I’ve ever had those parts fail so early.. come to think of it I’ve never replaced them in previous cars. Truck sounded like a diesel.. nice and quiet again. Thx.
    '88 LX