Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do - GT500

What would you do - GT500

I have a 2011 GT500, its a performance package car so it has 3.73 gears from the factory. The motor is pretty much stock, but has a 2.7" supercharger pulley and a tune from Sean Hyland (mail order tune).

So here's my dilemma, I want a new tune and the ability to data log it (I'd do a smaller pulley and JLT too), so I'm considering 3 options;

(I already have a JLT 123 and a set of Ford Racing 56lb injectors on the shelf in my garage)

1 - JLT 123 air intake, 2.5 pulley, new VMP tune and data log. ($600)
    2 - As above but add a 67mm VMP Throttle body and port matched high flow elbow. (+$1100)
    3 - JLT 123 air intake, 56lb injectors, Ford Racing Trinity Supercharger, Ford Racing 65mm throttle body, VMP tune and data log ($4500)

Opinions?
    2011 Shelby GT500

No doubt option 1 or 2 = an upgrade but not one thats gonna blow your socks off. However, option 3 will move your car into another postal code performance wise.
    Enjoy.

Don’t be a bitch, #3 all the way.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    ^^ what they said if u can swing it^
    All in and done- at least till u think it’s not enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    I have a 2011 GT500, its a performance package car so it has 3.73 gears from the factory. The motor is pretty much stock, but has a 2.7" supercharger pulley and a tune from Sean Hyland (mail order tune).

So here's my dilemma, I want a new tune and the ability to data log it (I'd do a smaller pulley and JLT too), so I'm considering 3 options;

(I already have a JLT 123 and a set of Ford Racing 56lb injectors on the shelf in my garage)

1 - JLT 123 air intake, 2.5 pulley, new VMP tune and data log. ($600)
    2 - As above but add a 67mm VMP Throttle body and port matched high flow elbow. (+$1100)
    3 - JLT 123 air intake, 56lb injectors, Ford Racing Trinity Supercharger, Ford Racing 65mm throttle body, VMP tune and data log ($4500)

Opinions?
    I’m looking at installing a vmp gen2r with similar mods in your #3 option. Just remember when you go down that road that a clutch and driveshaft will be in your future. I’m looking at Mcleod RXT and DSS driveshaft. That’s another $2500
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I’m looking at installing a vmp gen2r with similar mods in your #3 option. Just remember when you go down that road that a clutch and driveshaft will be in your future. I’m looking at Mcleod RXT and DSS driveshaft. That’s another $2500
    What kind of HP are you looking for? I’ve done some reading and I’ve heard a few complaints about losing bottom end torque with the Gen2R, but then it comes on hard when you get into boost and has more hp potential than the Trinity. I love the low end torque pre-boost that my car has and I don’t want to lose it. I realize the Trinity and Gen2R are the same rotor pack but the Gen2R has a huge inlet...possibly a reason for low end torque loss? (Maybe Rick can comment on this one). That’s what is pushing me towards the Trinity, plus I don’t plan pushing the fuel system to its limit so the Trinity should do the trick for me (Gen2R does look nicer though).

I already have a Dana Spicer Aluminum Driveshaft and a clutch would be in my future.

Debate as to which direction is the same as I agonized over on my own car. In the end, 2.3 Whipple combined with a stock throttle body gave me all the gains I was looking for without any of the idle hang or low end loss of larger throttle body's. Would mine make more h/p with a larger tb and inlet combo, we all know it would but only at the expense of the 100% stock drive ability I'm enjoying now. Would I do anything different the second go round, absolutely not.
    As for fuel system, drop in pumps available for your stock Shelby hat, used them in Gary's build to avoid using a boost a pump or similar.
    Clutch, original stock clutch survived in my own car up until this year when I grew tired of the heavy pedal and went with an RST.

Pump link, direct replacement for your stock pumps (given age = time to replace anyways).

https://www.lethalperformance.com/de...uel-pumps.html

Roush suspension, you need to get the power to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Roush suspension, you need to get the power to the ground
    I’ve got the Roush UCA and LCA’s, wheel hop was terrible before the Roush, when it breaks loose now it’s smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    What kind of HP are you looking for? I’ve done some reading and I’ve heard a few complaints about losing bottom end torque with the Gen2R, but then it comes on hard when you get into boost and has more hp potential than the Trinity. I love the low end torque pre-boost that my car has and I don’t want to lose it. I realize the Trinity and Gen2R are the same rotor pack but the Gen2R has a huge inlet...possibly a reason for low end torque loss? (Maybe Rick can comment on this one). That’s what is pushing me towards the Trinity, plus I don’t plan pushing the fuel system to its limit so the Trinity should do the trick for me (Gen2R does look nicer though).

I already have a Dana Spicer Aluminum Driveshaft and a clutch would be in my future.
    After the blower, injectors and TB the car should see 630-650 if I go down that road with stock pumps. The McLeod RXT is hands down the best overal clutch for our Shelby’s (for driver feel and grip) but comes at a big price. Roughly $1600 cAD (on sale currently) I can get a stock 13/14 gt500 for $750 but worry about reliability. I have also heard from several people who had clutch slippage with the cheaper rst clutch with over 600 rwhp (for the Shelby’s) My personal dilemma is do I actually want to go to that horsepower? Most cars have issues with grip above 500rwhp with street tires. My car does 500rwhp right now but the tune is way to fat and car really should be at around 520-530. I like to do road course days and plan on hitting the track lots next year. So that much horsepower could be an issue. The other problem is the stock blower (my car is an 08) is very inefficient and creates a boat load of heat (which is a big issue obviously on a road course). I really think vmp is hands down one of the best blowers out there. I’m only looking at the gen2r because I can get my hands on one for a much better price than a gen3.
    Or I could retune the car, put in a 13/14 clutch and dss driveshaft and be happy. (But I would always want more power). That’s the $6k question! Lol
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!