Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GM to announce closing of Oshawa plants Monday

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrrick View Post
    Wow.... big kick in the nuts for workers and city of Oshawa!!!
    Trump pulling it back to make America great again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like 2 large plants there are taking the hit too.

Was listening to the Shapiro/ Harper interview last week and they talked about the bailout. Harper said it wasn’t a good idea knowing it would be a temporary bandaid to keep the jobs but when the US offered the money our hand were tied either pay or watch the jobs leave (as 92redragtop said). Not sure that would have been the best move at the time. Jobs kept equals buying power back into the economy and with this closing like others the trickle down will be large.

I pretty much said when the buyout happed that I would not be supporting GM or chrysler. So far I have not.

Gotta love GM, they sure know how to get cash and then screw those that gave it to them. Bail out loans and/or government handouts to keep them here, and then flushing the toilet on their common stock by declaring bankruptcy during the great recession. I'll never buy one of their products nor own their stock. Crooks!

interesting times - I wonder if electric vehicles will make a difference when a size comparison is made - families can't buy what they consider sedans today they are just not big enough for families - most if not all electric cars are too small as well for families - the real scary part is shifting all future jobs out of the country (USA) GM looks to be moving away from customer sales much like CAT pulled out of trucking when the government posed heavy restrictions on diesel emissions. This is not new news GM has mentioned the scenario in the past. I find it all confusing as a consumer as to what to do for future transportation. Investing 50,000 100,000 $ in a gas powered vehicle may be a huge wasted investment if fuel suddenly becomes unavailable or driving becomes so expensive you opted for shared or public transportation...never would of thought like this 20yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    ....if fuel suddenly becomes unavailable or driving becomes so expensive you opted for shared or public transportation...never would of thought like this 20yrs ago.
    what about 40 years ago?
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    what about 40 years ago?
    40 years ago I was 16, but in my 20's I was dumping 20 $'s a day into a trans am with a 455 in it...lol - never ever thought I would consider a day without gasoline - I used 20 yrs as an example of how quickly things are changing 2030 is only 10 years away I'm sure by then transportation and source of income will be greatly different - currency maybe a thing of he past by then...who knows but it makes decision making very indecisive and difficult (for me anyway lol) - I was reading articles between 2005 and 2010 that all the advancements in todays auto's ie. auto braking - lane sensing - gps - and all the other idiot sensors for drivers, were being developed for flying cars and they would be available by 2020 - conceivably this could happen by 2030 (flying cars). My thoughts on driving becoming too expensive (it's always been that way) but - for the last 25 yrs I've been in the trucking industry and the trend with governments seems to me seems to move towards reducing the number of trucks on the road - this could also trend with cars. With the increasing cost of insurance, the cost old and new infrastructure, and the possible depletion of jobs and income infrastructure will be difficult to maintain as it always is currently supported with taxes (100 year underground water pipes in Toronto one example) - I don't think the government will ever say you cant drive, but they may make very difficult to afford it if you want a personal vehicle.... the amount of cars in the world is staggering - a few months ago I was reading stats on ev's - ev's make up 1 percent of all the vehicles on the road - to say that the pressure of 1 percent is hurting your manufacturing business seems like a lot of bull to me it's bigger than that, I would think - maybe I think too much...lol

Pretty upsetting news. Not too surprising given manufacturing has been leaving Ontario for years, but this is a big blow.

The USMCA was supposed to implement a $16 usd minimum wage for Mexican auto workers, unless we want to work for $3-5 per hour, its too little too late. The karma I hope that bites the auto makers shifting to Mexico, is their workers are under paid and won't be able to afford what they make. I guess Henry Ford realised this with the $5 a day worker.
    The only laughable moment in all this is listening to Jerry Diaz telling GM they aren't taking their plant away. So 1970 Jerry.

Jerry has some bravado but it the end its wasted air.....nothing will be saved they are gone...the real shame is our govt not protecting it with the USMC

GM had a advantageous postion against european and asian manufacturers as they had no tariffs
    and they still shafted Canada.Thats fine its their marbles and they are taking them....our politicians are the real problem here
    call it ineptitude whatever they dropped the ball.

i definitely could see property values falling in the SWAH
    i guess another manufacturer could come in replace it but thats wishful thinking
    you could build condos and what not on the property ...
    '86 LX--5.2 Predator,TVS 2.65,built 6r80,308 gear,recaros,etc, 863 rwhp....@15 psi
    '03 Cobra DSG built 4v,TW cams,built t56.G-force axles ---3.0 Whipple 840 rwhp……….(18psi)
    '23 Ranger Lariat Splash.

Quote Originally Posted by trickflow-jay View Post
    i guess another manufacturer could come in replace it but thats wishful thinking
    you could build condos and what not on the property ...
    Or like when Molson’s left Barrie, a new ‘industry’ took shop.
    And now it’s even legal!
    -Don____________