Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Distracted driving grows new teeth.

Post Distracted driving grows new teeth.

A section of the Ontario cannabis legislation, which was passed in 2017, is expected to affect drivers in the province starting on January 1, 2019, according to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).
    On December 12, 2017, Ontario passed Bill 174, which regulates the sale of recreational marijuana in the province, following its legalization across Canada Canada.
    According to a written email from MTO officials, the distracted driving changes made under the Cannabis, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act will come into effect in the new year to "strengthen the existing road safety laws."
    Drivers who are caught talking on their phones, texting, dialing or emailing using a hand-held device, such as a cell phone and other entertainment devices will be fined up to $1,000 with a three-day licence suspension and three demerit points.
    "Safety is our top priority," stated Jeff Yurek, Ontario's minister of transportation, stated in a email to CBC News on Thursday, explaining the legislation "allows the province to address unsafe driving behaviours, including careless driving and impaired driving with tough new rules and penalties that will help improve road safety."
    Drivers with more than one distracted driving conviction will face a fine of up to $2,000, a seven-day licence suspension and six demerit points, while motorists who have been caught driving distracted more than two times will pay a fine of up to $3,000 and lose their license for 30 days.
    "Ontario's roads are among the safest in North America, but we also know distracted driving continues to be a serious issue," Yurek said.
    Once the new legislation, passed under the previous Liberal government, takes effect, "Ontario will have the toughest penalties for repeat distracted driving convictions."

Well, it makes sense that the penalty be similar to an impaired driving penalty.

An impaired driver sees double. A distracted driver isn't looking at all.
    -Don____________

It seems that I always see at least two to three people doing shit like this. WTF people. Now they need to do the same for the idiots that don't turn on their lights at night or the ones that love to drive with their highbeams on!

What does that have to do with cannabis. it's about distracted drivers. Mentions impaired almost as an afterthought.

Does my vape count as distracted driving?!!
    '88 LX

If they haven't banned smoking while driving, can't see why vaping would be against the law. Could argue vaping is less distracting 'cause you don't have to pull out and light a smoke while driving.
    ~Scott B

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    It seems that I always see at least two to three people doing shit like this. WTF people. Now they need to do the same for the idiots that don't turn on their lights at night or the ones that love to drive with their highbeams on!
    Same here! Glad to hear the law has finally realized this is a huge issue and fines/penalties need to be harsh! I dread driving these days and am always looking for idiots, morons, freaks on the roads so I can avoid them. I drive a big red shiny F150 and it seems some drivers still can't see me as I'm constantly avoiding crashing into cars pulling out in front of me. But if you think this is bad, just wait until there are flying cars out here!!!!

Still torn. People need to smarten up. But a cop with a bee in his bonnet can still lay down a licence suspension for nothing more than sipping a coffee at a stop light.

Also read that insurance companies will be implementing policy cancelation for third time conviction and high risk status after just one.

judge dredd at work? same as stunting? where is your day in court? im all for safety but these new laws are slowly eroding our rights
    '86 LX--5.2 Predator,TVS 2.65,built 6r80,308 gear,recaros,etc, 863 rwhp....@15 psi
    '03 Cobra DSG built 4v,TW cams,built t56.G-force axles ---3.0 Whipple 840 rwhp……….(18psi)
    '23 Ranger Lariat Splash.