Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned, Dont Make my Mistakes

Lesson Learned, Dont Make my Mistakes

Lots of guys here have shops Figured I would pass along a very important PSA.

STORE OLD RAGS PROPERLY

We have a wood shop that I do some hobby work out of and have been painstakingly building a table in my free time for the inlaws, Yesterday my Wife and sister put on a coat of stain, and when we cleaned up we threw the rags in the garbage box. something I have done a million times before, in my wood shop, my garage and even in the home.

I don't store thinners or varsole in there and all my paint and stain is in a metal cabinet, any way this was about 1 in the afternoon when they finished up and we headed out of town. we got back around 9 and I was walking down to the shop to check on the stain see how it looked when the town fire alarm went off and shortly after I saw a guy kicking in the door to my wood shop.

turns out the stain reacted with either the rags or possible some Styrofoam that was in the garbage box and started a fire. we were very lucky that the tenants in behind heard the smoke detector and acted quickly to hit it with a fire extinguisher, didn't get it out but slowed it down enough that the fire department wasn't far behind. nothing but smoke damage and everyone in the attached apartment is fine.

very lucky. so just remember

Any chemical garbage no matter what should be in a metal fire rated container, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers save lives and in this case probably saved the building. don't take for granted something you have always done. you could have just been lucky up until now

WOW, glad no one was injured. This could've ended up so much worse.
    Excellent PSA announcement to everyone though.

Excellent reminder. Thank you for posting and glad to hear it wasn't worse.
    ~Scott B

Glad everything , for the most part, is okay.
    We make it a practice to place any solvent/ chemical rags outside after use that day. The fear is exactly what happened at your place.
    Just waiting for this crap to be over so we can travel again

Steel garbage can here and never without the lid.

Glad it didnt turn out much worse for ya, but good lesson to preach. Perhaps one of these is in your future

https://www.uline.ca/BL_6777/Oily-Wa...ily+Waste+Cans
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Same thing happened to a co-worker a few years back. He was reno'ing his house. Installed a hardwood floor and stained it. Left the rags in a pile and they ignited causing smoke and fire damage. Luckily, he was home when it happened. He had to restart the reno...

Club Supporter
    Good reminder. Did this happen to you or a PSA pass-through?

it was me. talking with the father in law (hes the fire chief here) we think it was some sort of reaction with between the Stain and some Styrofoam that was in the box, I'm normally pretty good at letting everything dry up before disposing. I know we had laid the rags out flat on the top (not just balled up) so that they would dry out.

either way very lucky. and yes picked up a metal fire rated garbage pail today.

no one hurt and looks like minor smoke in the apartments worst of it is the wood shop itself. but didn't actually catch onto anything else, just the box I used for garbage. now I've got a whole lot more work ahead of me to try and salvage the Christmas presents I had sitting in there waiting for wrapping. some will defiantly need to be stripped down and re sealed

Club Supporter
    Wow, close call - glad it didn't turn out to be something bigger. One of those things I wouldn't have really thought about at the time.