Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned, Dont Make my Mistakes

Curious as to what kind of stain it was?

....and pics of the table?
    -Don____________

Stain was a pentreant from Benjamin Moore. Different than what I normally use.

Pics later. Can’t post from my phone for some reason.

still thrashing, running out of time to get it done

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

need to make the leafs, finish sanding re stain the base and seal everything. lot of work to do in less than two weeks

Looking good!
    Love the table top. Walnut?

...don't have to tell me the number of hours involved in a project like this, LOL.
    stupid amount of work, but worth it.
    -Don____________

Yes top is walnut.

Base is old barn Beams. Pretty sure it’s Hemlock.
    Spend hours squaring them only to have the in-laws say they wanted it painted white.
    After a frustrated conversation with my lovely wife about how much time and work I could have saved by just using over the counter wood had I known they wanted it painted white.

We did some samples and they decided to go with a light white stain instead so the grain still shows threw.

Will finish out at 4 x 8. With two 2 foot leaves so the whole family can sit at Christmas.

If I get it done. Lol

UPDATE THE GOOD...AND THE BAD

so the good news is I was able to get the table done. went into the dining room the day before they had Christmas brunch with a bunch of friends and was big enough that they only needed one of the two extensions to fil all 14 people around it for Christmas diner.

IMG_2825.jpg

now the maybe not bad news but really annoying.

The Land loard and I had talked and since there was no real damage form the fire, just some minor smoke smell in the wood shop, we were not going to call insurance.

the wood shop needed to be brought up to code anyway and we had already discuced me doing that once i got teh table done. this was gonna include proper insulation. and vapor barier as well as actual drywall and tape so everyting was properly sealed from the ajoinng residential units. My dad and I had already added an extar stud wall between teh wood shop and the rear uning with 2 layers of sound proofing insulation and tape and VB. (this will be why they had no smoke at all back there.

the room above... somer history here, before this place was as wood shop it was our storage unit for mattress that we sell. we stopped using it for that because the guy living above smoked constantly, and were were getting mattreses that smelled like smoke.

I was told to things by guys i know on the firedepartment the night of the fire, one, that there was very little smoke that got into the unit above, "ive had more smoke in my house from burning toast" was what one of them said. second that it was one of the dirtiest places they had ever had to go into, mold and grime everywhere, staled old cigaret smoke. just filty and never cleaned.

so the landloard said, since this was teh last unit that he had not renovated yet and that it desperatly needed it anyway, he wasnt gonna bother insurance.

then the next day the tenent that lives in that unit, CALLED HIS INSURANCE company and complained of smoke smell. yes they guy who has smoked in that appartment since he moved in like 20 years ago, was complaining of a smoke smell

so the clean up complany comes out to inspect, and says GUT IT ALL.

they have now thrown out everything, he is getting all new applainces, new furnature the appartment is gutting and getting all new everything and they made me move our everything of min so they could pull the old crappy drywall off the roof

he is even getting a new kitchen table becasue apparently they could not get teh smoke smell out of his table which is hilarious becasue the table in the picture above was litterly 2 feet from teh buring garbage and was not sealed at the time, gave it a quick clean and now it dosnt smell at all.

frustrates me as the ward is they will be going back on my insurance since we were at fault.

55 HD
    And that's how it works in the Insurance industry. Your property has caused damage to another property. Everyone has OR should have insurance in place to cover loss & damage. So his Insurance will cover him for his loss and then subrogate the loss to your insurance as deemed his loss was caused by your property's claim..........whether you put in a claim or not for your own coverage.......you did have coverage in place.

Which is a good thing or his Insurance would be suing you. THANK GOD YOU HAD INSURANCE IS ALL I CAN SAY

yeah know that's how it works just seems wrong to have to pay for smoke damage in a place that's been smoked in constantly.

and the comany thats on clean up is a prime example of whats wrong in the insurance indusrty, took a crew of 6 guys 3 days to pull down the drywall from the roof. thats all they did, oh and shared a 24 afterword. wonder how much their bill to the insurance co will be. my dad and I could have done in one day whay 6 guys took 3 to do

There’s a separate living space above? And there was no proper fire separation?
    Sounds to me like you’re lucky nobody is getting charged/fined (landlord).
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    There’s a separate living space above? And there was no proper fire separation?
    Sounds to me like you’re lucky nobody is getting charged/fined (landlord).
    Honestly not sure there won’t be. Heard the insurance requested the fire report yesterday which I’m sure is standard practice.

I’ve heard differing opinions.

One the building is so old and major work has not been none to my unit so was to “old code”

Two I’m responsible for the unit I rent and the work being done so I should have made sure it was up to all fire code

And three it’s the landlord that responsible and should have ensured it was up to fire code regardless of what it was used for.

I have talked to the land lord a couple times about doing it proper if nothing more just for the dust and noise I was creating but he never really wanted to address it.

Just a waiting game right now.