Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  271
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip To Scarborough...

Since I've purchased this car I've been obsessive with the engine oil and the tick. I thought I had the oil figured out but wasn't satisfied. Most of what I've read about the tick or more like a knock from the bottom end appeared after the first oil change and appeared to get softer when the engine warmed. I don't hear this noise in mine and I'm not sure if anyone at the TMC has heard it with theirs? With that in mind I continued to do more research on oil.

OEM[1].jpgALM[1].jpgXLF[1].jpg

Originally I was going to use Amsoil but during my research on oil I studied the makeup of oil past and present. I also looked into many additives and the role they play. What I've found, zinc in oil is drastically reduced and been replaced largely with detergents and calcium. What I understand from most additives is they replace the role of zinc with either zinc or a similar ingredient that performs like zinc. What the zinc does is protect rod bearing and rings during combustion by forming a layer on the moving parts once the engine has warmed. The detergents roll is to clean the working parts and will remove what little zinc is in todays oil preventing from doing it job. Back to the Amsoil OE appears to be straight synthetic with little or no detergent, zinc unknown and an average change interval - the boosted has a higher detergent ingredient for a longer interval and may be a better base oil before additives than the OE - The Signature Series claims to have a one year change interval with also higher detergents. Of the three the the Signature Series I think, is the best of the three but I wouldn't go the full year or 24,000 before a change. Form my reading this extended periods are achieved with a quality base and in todays oil chemistry higher and higher levels of detergent additives and less zinc to achieve the longer intervals. I've decided not to use either one of these oils because I could not find the levels of zinc or if they even have zinc. Some may argue that zinc cause's catalytic egr issues and may if mixed with a poor base oil that has a low temperature threshold. So to make a long story short I found an oil developed thru Joe Gibbs racing.

dro_di30_2018__08703.1531512081.1280.1280[4].jpg

They offer an oil specificlly developed for Fords Coyote and boosted 5.0's, but I chose this oils because it was developed for direct injection and has over 1000 parts per million of zinc and considerably less detergents. I had an email chat with an Driven oil rep. and they believe this will be the best oil for my Coyote. I'm not knocking other oils or additives but this is a controlled blend with a quality base and a high heat threshold (which is important when talking pvc recirculation). I will continue to use Amsoil in the High Commanders low torq low HP mini van . They also blend full on race oil's, say they aren't suitable for street use.
    Only thing I have to obsess about now is the oil filter...lol - would love to hear anyone's thoughts...!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Great research, hope it makes a difference and/or keeps the tick away

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    Great research, hope it makes a difference and/or keeps the tick away
    thanks - there's a lot more to it just trying to keep it short - the additive you shared in another post is probably okay for the engine the only draw back I see is the expense and it's not a controlled amount. The additive doesn't raise the quality of the oil base - The high detergent will also clean away the additives designed to protect. The knock seems to appear after the first oil change which makes me wonder what Ford is putting in at the factory as opposed to what the owners manual states. I was thinking of sending an oil sample to a lab to see what its make up is....
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

mat.jpg

pulled this vintage floor mat from the 81 fox and planted into the passenger side of the s550 - can't be all new - story for the large pic been working on the desk top lately and haven't mastered it yet (like i ever will)
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

s550a.jpg

May 12, 2019 the sun goes down on the competition....lol 1st event. just need a helmet now too protect the pavement!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Trip To Scarborough...

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    s550a.jpg

May 12, 2019 the sun goes down on the competition....lol 1st event. just need a helmet now too protect the pavement!
    Nice!!! Good luck!
    You coming may 13??? That means you’ll be warmed up lol
    Just try not to break anything MR. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

^^^^so far its a yes - need to wait until closer to the day to commit - i don't carry credit cards and will have to commit and pay on the day - looking forward to the tracks and meeting more members - you will get to see first hand what real hammerhead looks, smells, and drives like lol - and i might even call you a funny name - but not lead foot...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by newbiestangowner View Post
    Nice!!! Good luck!
    You coming may 13??? That means you’ll be warmed up lol
    Just try not to break anything MR. lol

The first event is this Sunday May 12 - ready as i will every b i guess. Got some pretty big hitters in my field so far:

Nissan 370z
    '94 Z28
    2018 Cayman GTS
    Nissan GTR
    not one but two Porsche 718GTS
    I believe there is also a new Alfa (not entered yet) have seen Lotus Esprits at some events and a McClaren.

Last time I Competed I was in the division with my stock 79 fox. It was hardly fair but i did pretty good and may have been a bit of a threat if i didn't hit so many cones...lol

This year will even the score a little and hopefully kick some foreign ass!!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Too confusing for me, figuring out where exactly I’m going is what will slow me down
    Have you seen anyone totally get lost ? kinda made their own course lol.

Hammer you'll be happy to know that at TMP there are some cones too

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Yesterday was the second event for the season. The sun was out and so too where the photographers. I will be he first one to tell I suck at autoX but try to please the crowd in other ways. My favourite part of autoX is when someone gets in the car with me and I ask, "what are you driving" and they reply "a volvo bla bla bla" - I reply, "oh nice, I must warn you you won't learn anything about the autoX with me I'm new." They reply "That's ok I've just never been in a Mustang before" and by then I'm hammering into the first corner, and I can see from the corner of my eye sheer panic as they grab what ever then can and stiffen right up. I'm kinda of chuckling inside by now, as I'm sure they probably feel like their just about the be in a Mustang crowd killer fail on you tube lol...but by the end they have a pretty big grin on their faces. These first three shote are likely my first run when i took it relatively easy. Here I'm entering the slalom part of the course and it looks as tho i'm executing this area very well. Needles to say this was my only clean run. These three photo's from Eric Ye.

61d.jpg

61e.jpg

61f.jpg

these next two shots are my next balls to the walls run thru the same slalom. Needles to say my entrance to the slalom gate this time around was a much different approach. Before the slalom is a sweeping curve to the right which you then enter the slalom to the left. I came smoking thru the curve drifter style with so much speed the only way i was going to get the car back left was to light up the tires and fish tail it around to the left. The bottom picture was a brilliant shot, to my left just outside of the shot is the cone i need to get around before i begin the slalom. The best part about this run was the guy beside me. I warned him i wouldn't be able to teach him much about the course his reply was "Thats ok i would rather go wth someone slow" lol He was driving a Volt by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd