Since I've purchased this car I've been obsessive with the engine oil and the tick. I thought I had the oil figured out but wasn't satisfied. Most of what I've read about the tick or more like a knock from the bottom end appeared after the first oil change and appeared to get softer when the engine warmed. I don't hear this noise in mine and I'm not sure if anyone at the TMC has heard it with theirs? With that in mind I continued to do more research on oil.

OEM[1].jpgALM[1].jpgXLF[1].jpg

Originally I was going to use Amsoil but during my research on oil I studied the makeup of oil past and present. I also looked into many additives and the role they play. What I've found, zinc in oil is drastically reduced and been replaced largely with detergents and calcium. What I understand from most additives is they replace the role of zinc with either zinc or a similar ingredient that performs like zinc. What the zinc does is protect rod bearing and rings during combustion by forming a layer on the moving parts once the engine has warmed. The detergents roll is to clean the working parts and will remove what little zinc is in todays oil preventing from doing it job. Back to the Amsoil OE appears to be straight synthetic with little or no detergent, zinc unknown and an average change interval - the boosted has a higher detergent ingredient for a longer interval and may be a better base oil before additives than the OE - The Signature Series claims to have a one year change interval with also higher detergents. Of the three the the Signature Series I think, is the best of the three but I wouldn't go the full year or 24,000 before a change. Form my reading this extended periods are achieved with a quality base and in todays oil chemistry higher and higher levels of detergent additives and less zinc to achieve the longer intervals. I've decided not to use either one of these oils because I could not find the levels of zinc or if they even have zinc. Some may argue that zinc cause's catalytic egr issues and may if mixed with a poor base oil that has a low temperature threshold. So to make a long story short I found an oil developed thru Joe Gibbs racing.

dro_di30_2018__08703.1531512081.1280.1280[4].jpg

They offer an oil specificlly developed for Fords Coyote and boosted 5.0's, but I chose this oils because it was developed for direct injection and has over 1000 parts per million of zinc and considerably less detergents. I had an email chat with an Driven oil rep. and they believe this will be the best oil for my Coyote. I'm not knocking other oils or additives but this is a controlled blend with a quality base and a high heat threshold (which is important when talking pvc recirculation). I will continue to use Amsoil in the High Commanders low torq low HP mini van . They also blend full on race oil's, say they aren't suitable for street use.
Only thing I have to obsess about now is the oil filter...lol - would love to hear anyone's thoughts...!