Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coilover spring rates

Coilover spring rates

Entertaining the idea of converting my front bilsteins to coilovers with MM's kit along with some non-offset front control arms.

Having a hard time choosing spring rates.. car is mostly street driven but would like a more firm rate. Going by MM's chart they suggest 350-400 rate for a street/track car but I've heard that it can beat you up a bit on the street. The car see's 500-1000km's a year so I'm not that concerned but would like some real world opinions from you guys. I would be leaving the MM road & track springs in the rear.

Would it also be beneficial to install a swaybar end link kit?

Thx.. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but would like to reassurement before clicking the order button.
    '88 LX

Another chart on the MM site says 325 is max for the Bilstien HD's. I would stay under that. Years ago MM recommended 350 front springs with my Bilstiens. Ride is very stiff and not pleasant on the street.

There is also a recommended sway bar link length listed some where on their site. I cut the spacer sleeve to length and put the extra on the other side of the bushing so I didn't need to buy new sway bar links.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

For street enjoyment, stick with a max of 300 lbs on the front, drop back to 275 for combo of comfort and handling.

Agree with the above, it's all about matching the spring rate to your damper. Even high spring rates will ride decently when paired with the correct damper. I run 375lb springs and MM sport valved bilstiens and find them quite comfortable for street driving.

What is done to the rear suspension?

Considering sending mine to MM to get revalved to the sport series, if they even do that still.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by ON BOOST View Post
    Agree with the above, it's all about matching the spring rate to your damper. Even high spring rates will ride decently when paired with the correct damper. I run 375lb springs and MM sport valved bilstiens and find them quite comfortable for street driving.
    Exactly that, running 450lb fronts in the Cobra with Koni Dbl adjustables, ride is close to what I experienced with Koni SA / OEM Cobra Bilsteins and 300lb on the street (yes have run all three combos). One thing I'll add, you simply can not spend enough on your dampners, difference in stuff closer to high end vs some of the best mid level is dramatic.

300 it is.. thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
    What is done to the rear suspension?
    bilsteins, mm road and track springs, mm control arms, panhard bar
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    300 it is.. thanks guys.

bilsteins, mm road and track springs, mm control arms, panhard bar
    I have a 275 with Tokico illumina's and find it quite stiff..comfortable, but stiff....but I think the dampener is not really up to the job

I’m upgrading to some 325’s if you want a pair of 275’s.
    -Don____________