Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  99
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelby S197 platform

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    I loved mined. They are one sweet ride and a lot of fun on a road course track. The exhaust note with Track Key enable makes for a very cool drive....with lots of snap crackle and pop on decel. And the resale value is obviously good. No doubt their limited production numbers are helping. Love the white!
    Nice so you’ve had both , how would you compare the two ?
    Not having experience I would guess that a Shelby gives you the best of both in terms of handling & power , or is the Boss suspension tuned that much more ?

I chose my 08 because I have always wanted that body style in vista blue and the price. I wanted all the factory extras that the Shelby offers. I looked at boss 302’s but just couldn’t justify the price. Get a stock 13/14 5L with recaros and it’s very close to the same car for a lot less. The Shelby’s and boss cars hold their value much more as well. If I had the money I would have bought a grabber blue 11/12 PP Shelby. That would be my perfect car but I can’t justify that price for a summer toy. I love the look of my 08 and it makes me smile every time I drive it. I have also done a bunch of mods that make it drive that much better. I would just love an 11/12 Shelby engine in my car and it would be awesome (just for the less weight)
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

I spoke to an owner of a Boss 302 (Laguna I think) and 13 GT500 at the Ford Marigold show a couple years ago and I can remember him telling me he preferred the Boss over the GT500 owning both.
    He said the Boss was a nicer car to drive overall and he found himself putting far more kms on it vs the GT500.
    So much in fact he was going to sell the Shelby for the reason he just never drove it.

He said for taking his friends for a quick drive and strictly acceleration the GT500 was very impressive but when it came time to picking keys for cruising he always picked the Boss.

He had both at the show and I would have gladly taken either one!

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    Nice so you’ve had both , how would you compare the two ?
    Not having experience I would guess that a Shelby gives you the best of both in terms of handling & power , or is the Boss suspension tuned that much more ?
    The Boss stock vs. GT500 stock, the Boss is the better performer.....handling wise, and rightly so as that was the design intent out of the factory; it has adjustable shocks (settings 1 thru 5) and a few other suspension upgrades right out of the factory. It's quick in its own right as well, but approx. 55HP less, and about 100 lb/ft of torque. The track key provides a factory based custom tune to help the car be at its best on the track, i.e. quicker throttle response, lopey cam, engine braking and bunch of other parameter changes. Interior is very plain; Recaro seats are cloth only, but very comfortable and functional when flying around a track.

The GT500 (08 in my case) is not quite as "tight" handling wise, but still respectable (and of course can be improved with $$). Its very quick in a straight line and if you're into making more power....can be done pretty easily with not too much $$ and the sound of the SC adds to the experience. Interior's are similar, but I'd give the Shelby the advantage...appearance wise (subjective). I like the Red/White/Blue lighting on the gauges @ night as well. :-)

Both cars look great and draw a fair amount of attention (good and bad...lol). Stock sound, I liked my Boss better because of the quad exhaust, especially with the track key enabled. GT500 can again be improved with a few $$.

So why did I sell my Boss 302? Always wanted to own a Shelby and couldn't afford both.

If you're serious about buying, I'd recommend taking both out for a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I chose my 08 because I have always wanted that body style in vista blue and the price. I wanted all the factory extras that the Shelby offers. I looked at boss 302’s but just couldn’t justify the price. Get a stock 13/14 5L with recaros and it’s very close to the same car for a lot less. The Shelby’s and boss cars hold their value much more as well. If I had the money I would have bought a grabber blue 11/12 PP Shelby. That would be my perfect car but I can’t justify that price for a summer toy. I love the look of my 08 and it makes me smile every time I drive it. I have also done a bunch of mods that make it drive that much better. I would just love an 11/12 Shelby engine in my car and it would be awesome (just for the less weight)
    Bolded above.....I'd have to respectfully disagree with you; Boss came with forged internals, more HP, track key ($302 option), adjustable suspension, torsion diff to name a few things. And the Boss appearance pkg. to me set it apart from the standard GT. That being said.....you could certainly spend $$ and make a lot of improvements to the GT to get it up to a Boss' level....and beyond, but it still wouldn't be a Boss

Quote Originally Posted by WidowrRacing View Post
    I spoke to an owner of a Boss 302 (Laguna I think) and 13 GT500 at the Ford Marigold show a couple years ago and I can remember him telling me he preferred the Boss over the GT500 owning both.
    He said the Boss was a nicer car to drive overall and he found himself putting far more kms on it vs the GT500.
    So much in fact he was going to sell the Shelby for the reason he just never drove it.

He said for taking his friends for a quick drive and strictly acceleration the GT500 was very impressive but when it came time to picking keys for cruising he always picked the Boss.

He had both at the show and I would have gladly taken either one!
    The Boss LS is another notch in the special dept....very limited production. Couple extra's over the standard Boss from the factory, including transmission and brake cooling, special Pirelli tires and a wicked front splitter. I would want to be very careful cruising around with that splitter......

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    The Boss stock vs. GT500 stock, the Boss is the better performer.....handling wise, and rightly so as that was the design intent out of the factory; it has adjustable shocks (settings 1 thru 5) and a few other suspension upgrades right out of the factory. It's quick in its own right as well, but approx. 55HP less, and about 100 lb/ft of torque. The track key provides a factory based custom tune to help the car be at its best on the track, i.e. quicker throttle response, lopey cam, engine braking and bunch of other parameter changes. Interior is very plain; Recaro seats are cloth only, but very comfortable and functional when flying around a track.

The GT500 (08 in my case) is not quite as "tight" handling wise, but still respectable (and of course can be improved with $$). Its very quick in a straight line and if you're into making more power....can be done pretty easily with not too much $$ and the sound of the SC adds to the experience. Interior's are similar, but I'd give the Shelby the advantage...appearance wise (subjective). I like the Red/White/Blue lighting on the gauges @ night as well. :-)

Both cars look great and draw a fair amount of attention (good and bad...lol). Stock sound, I liked my Boss better because of the quad exhaust, especially with the track key enabled. GT500 can again be improved with a few $$.

So why did I sell my Boss 302? Always wanted to own a Shelby and couldn't afford both.

If you're serious about buying, I'd recommend taking both out for a test drive.
    The Boss 302 sounds like a cool car - I did not know that!

John what you need is a 3V

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    John what you need is a 3V

All I know is i want more than my 4.6 can offer ....

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    All I know is i want more than my 4.6 can offer ....
    Forged internals and boost can deliver...