Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford 5.0L V8 Coyote (Mustang GT/Bullitt) Named 2019 Wards 10 Best Engines

Ford 5.0L V8 Coyote (Mustang GT/Bullitt) Named 2019 Wards 10 Best Engines

For the second year in a row, Ford’s 5.0L V8 which powers the Mustang GT and Bullitt, has been named to the Wards Auto 10 Best Engines list for 2019!
    2019 Wards 10 Best Engines: Gasoline, Diesel, Electrification Honored

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says WardsAuto editor Drew Winter.

For the first time ever, three pickup-truck engines appear on the Wards 10 Best Engines list, while four electrified powertrains make the cut for the second consecutive year as well.

Rounding out the field in this 25th year of the Wards 10 Best Engines competition is a muscle-car V-8, a German luxury turbocharged inline 6-cyl. and a groundbreaking turbocharged 4-cyl. with variable compression ratio.

WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November evaluating 34 engines and electric propulsion systems during routine commutes in metro Detroit.

Other notable trends this year: Ford wins two trophies for the second year in a row, and Hyundai wins two awards in the same year for the first time ever. A hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicle makes the cut for the third time, and two V-8s earn trophies in the same year for the first time since 2015.

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says Drew Winter, WardsAuto senior content director.

“Automakers and their powertrain engineers are being pushed in different directions: Governments around the world want low emissions and electrification, while customers want vehicles that meet their every need without compromise. We believe this year’s list represents the industry’s ability to deftly satisfy both demands.”

This year’s winners (in alphabetical order by brand):

3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)
    6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)
    5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)
    3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)
    2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
    120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)
    150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)
    2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)
    2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)
    3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)

Wards Intelligence data confirms falling take-rates for big V-8s, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a few last hurrahs. And the latest iteration of the 5.0L V-8 in the ’19 Ford Mustang GT – and in particular, the pitch-perfect version in the Bullitt – makes us smile every time we punch the throttle.

We have no complaints with the 460-horse powerplant in the standard GT, but there’s something extra-special about the Bullitt, which breathes through a wider throttle body borrowed from the Shelby GT350 and gets a freer-flowing active exhaust that’s music to an enthusiast’s ears.

On paper, the Bullitt engine picks up a mere 20 hp over the GT, but on the road the Bullitt demonstrates how small changes and careful attention to tuning can bring new life to mature technology and create a whole new level of firepower.

Rest of release can be read at https://www.wardsauto.com/2019-10-b...gines-gasoline-diesel-electrification-honored

People online and on YouTube complain all the time about the dreaded "TICK" coming from the Coyote Motor but it still won. So I personally don't think of it to be an issue. I don't believe that any car manufacturer is safe from issues especially when these manufactures are pumping out cars like no tomorrow.

The dreaded tick has been around a long long time ever since the Coyote Motor came out in 2011 apparently. I will let Bill talk about it below.

Weird that the coyote and GM 6.2 make the list this year but have been on the market for quite some time....
    Coyote is a great engine though, no doubt.

Is /has this typewriter tick been an issue with anyone’s coyote on this forum?

Per Bill the tick has been around for quite some time. Piston slap has been an issue as well on some motors but as I said all these new tech motors are all prone to some issue here and there.

I've read about the tick and was worried about buying mine - then I dug deeper into some of the stories and obvious abuse and I don't believe the tick is the cause. I hear a very similar tick in a lot of multi valve and multi cam engines from four cylinder to the coyote's - I think some people don't realize these engines and power is not like the old days and really need to pay attention to proper oil changes oil levels and maintenance, almost like supercar level, overheating could be an issue if not carefully kept in check... a lot of electronics going on under there which could attribute to some ticking noise as well (I don't know fore shore) - after the engine reach's running temp the tick seems a bit quieter. It makes tons of power and I've felt no issues in power and feel no reason to be concerned...

Direct injection makes a distinct tick as well but that comes from the top of the Coyote motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Direct injection makes a distinct tick as well but that comes from the top of the Coyote motor.
    yes exactly - on mine I only hear ticking in the top - I hear no other noise's - so far so good - going to change the oil just over 5k on it - also going to add a catch can

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    yes exactly - on mine I only hear ticking in the top - I hear no other noise's - so far so good - going to change the oil just over 5k on it - also going to add a catch can
    Benefits of a catch can ... I’m not so technical

Catches the oil particles that would otherwise be sent through the intake via the PCV system and re-burned, which would sit on the valves and cause sludge build-up. Some engines need it, sone don’t. I don’t run one on anything I have, mostly because I’m cheap, but also cuz I don’t care enough