Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Government (local) math

Government (local) math

Local municipality has just finished the lagoon upgrade that has been a long time coming for my town. They knew back in the 90’s that it needed to be done. But kept putting it off due to “lack of funding”

So in 2012/2013. They put together the plan and attained grant money to complete the project.

Total estimated cost was about 4 million.
    Local municipality has saved about 1.5 million and had obtained another about 1.5 million from higher up government grants

This left about a million to be financed between the connections in town actuall math said about $2800 per connection. Municipality’s “estimate” was $3000 per connection

More delays and the winning tender finally was achieved in like 2015/16
    Total tender was about 3.5 million.

Everyone though. SWEET saving money. Municipality still has 1.5 and the grant is still 1.5 so that means the residence in town only need to cover .5 million now. Works out to be only like 1300 per connection

Work was completed in the summer

Fast forward to yesterday when I get the notice in the mail. “We have finalized calculations for the lagoon upgrade. Total cost per connnection is $3200 (plus intrest if you choose to just add it to your land tax for the next ten years)

So should have been half the cost. Ended up been more and keep in mind I own 2 connections. One at the store and one at home

And it looks like there was no attempt to factor in the difference between the 3 processing plants and other busines in town that all use thousands of gallons of water per day and a regular home or small business that has one toilet

^^^That sucks!
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I posted the same thing to my Facebook and 15 min later was invited to “like” my municipality’s fb page. Lol

It’s the tender thing that bugs me most. Why don’t governments enforce tender winners to actually stick to the quote they gave. They always go over and get paid more.

Imagine if I quoted someone 1200 for a stove the showed up and said I went over budget so your actual bill is $2000.