Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,479

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Thinking I gotta grab a “last minute deal” any recommended destinations that won’t break the bank lol Cuba , Mexico , Dominican? I haven’t been away in 26yrs

Try Cuba , Not varadero but Cayo Coco. My brother goes every year to TRYP Cayo Coco. He paid 3000 all inclusive for 2 weeks for 2 people. Flight direct from Ottawa to Cayo Coco. I'm thinking you could go for around 800 for a week.

You couldn't pay me to go to Mexico. A friend of mine was grabbed while going from the beach into her Resort in Cancun. She was beaten and thrown in a sewage pit and left for dead. She was there for 3 days before they found her. Meanwhile her husband was held by police for being a suspect. Today there is breaking news about a flight attendant from Ottawa who was nearly beaten to death in her room at her resort in Cancun. They actually arrested a Mexican local this time.

Another vote for Cuba. We have been there many many times, and never any security issues.
    Veradero is nice if you want to visit Havana (which is a worthwhile trip if you have never been). Cayo Coco is also very nice. Our favourite tho is Holguin on the eastern tip (not far from Guantanamo LOL). We stay at the Paradisus. If you can swing for the “Royal Service” it gets you the nicest, quietest, best vacation you could dream of.
    -Don____________

got some quiet time tonight and did a bit more practice on the lathe.
    ornimant.jpg
    still not sure its gift worthy. got a couple more blanks so will keep refining my technique.
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 11-19-2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: i don't know why its sidways, computers are stupid

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    some dicey stories coming from Dominican also.

Say what you will about Cuba being a police state, having uniformed and plainclothes police everywhere has an upside in protecting tourists and keeping their $$ flowing into Cuba
    Cuba is pretty decent and safe but the food is meh - probably better if you want to drink yourself silly and don't care too much about the food. We were over at Cayo Santa Maria before it got built out but there is more there now and the resorts will be newer as a result. We enjoyed it but once was enough for us. Been to Mexico once and will not go back.

DR used to be nice but a lot of bad stories coming out of the over the past couple years....of course a lot of people go there so some bad stories are not unexpected.

I personally prefer the islands of the Lesser Antilles - I enjoyed St. Maarten in the past but they were hit hard by the hurricane a couple years ago but I heard re-building was moving quickly so they've probably re-gained a lot of their capacity (might be worth checking out for deals in case they're trying to entice visitors back).

My next stop in the LA is going to be Grenada - former British colony so english speaking, pretty safe as a small island, and food is good. More pricey than Cuba and maybe on par with a better resort in DR, and weather in the LA is better in winter than the GA.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    got some quiet time tonight and did a bit more practice on the lathe.
    ornimant.jpg
    still not sure its gift worthy. got a couple more blanks so will keep refining my technique.

did you do the entire thing or just the part in the middle?

I think it looks pretty cool!

Yeah, any progress pics? Would love to see what the glued up blank looked like. Really cool pattern.
    -Don____________

The whole thing.

I have some blanks still I’ll snap pics of them tonight after work.

surprisingly simple to get the effect.

the center blank is made up of 3/4 birch plywood, and thin strips of Walnut. The finials are solid walnut.

blank.jpg

I just used off the shelf stuff, basically scrap wood, I've read that the lines in the plys can be a bit cleaner and less waste cutting around holes in the plys if I use a boat grade or specialty plywood. might for future ones these are just testers to see how they turn out.

don't have any progress picks other than this finial polished and ready to be parted off

finial.jpg

its a good practice in patience. lol nothing like doing all the work to get the finial just right and then catching an edge and snapping it in two
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 11-20-2019 at 04:58 PM.