Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,512
Page 2380 of 2380 FirstFirst ... 1380188022802330237023762377237823792380
Results 23,791 to 23,796 of 23796

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

I read a story about resale value of used EV's being low and they're hard to unload. No idea if true or just an EV hate story.

My uneducated, unresearched take is that EV's higher capitol cost up front will buy lower operating costs for the outset but there is a crossover point. IMO the only valid comparator is cost per kilometer over the life of the vehicle including energy inputs and maintenance from new through to scrapping of the vehicle. Include in that should be lost opportunity cost of waiting for a charge or any costs like extra overnight stays due to range limitations.

I'm also not a fan of hybrid, having a second drive/control/nanny system(s) to maintain add complexity that I don't figure adds to reliability or reduces life long operating costs. Again, just my unresearched opinion.

The fact that consumers are looking to EV's means the carbon tax is working. Whether a shift to EV's is more beneficial to the consumers over ICE is separate question. There's a lot of $$ in EV's and the whole climate change hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    I read a story about resale value of used EV's being low and they're hard to unload. No idea if true or just an EV hate story.

My uneducated, unresearched take is that EV's higher capitol cost up front will buy lower operating costs for the outset but there is a crossover point. IMO the only valid comparator is cost per kilometer over the life of the vehicle including energy inputs and maintenance from new through to scrapping of the vehicle. Include in that should be lost opportunity cost of waiting for a charge or any costs like extra overnight stays due to range limitations.

I'm also not a fan of hybrid, having a second drive/control/nanny system(s) to maintain add complexity that I don't figure adds to reliability or reduces life long operating costs. Again, just my unresearched opinion.

The fact that consumers are looking to EV's means the carbon tax is working. Whether a shift to EV's is more beneficial to the consumers over ICE is separate question. There's a lot of $$ in EV's and the whole climate change hysteria.
    For me its age thing mostly. In my sixties I have a 2019 f150 I paid 38,500 for it new —why would I not keep it regardless of the cost of fuel?

Consider a person retires and buys on EV thinking I'm not going to drive much it should last —but I think regardless of mileage the batteries will deplete in relatively the same amount of time weather it sits or not.

I'm certain my ICE will last at least 20yrs. I have a 20 yr old Subaru with around 300,000 on it still runs great. It will fall apart first I think lol

I just can't make any sense to an EV right now. I think there cool and on occasion thought maybe it would be good to own one —but for me it always comes back to batteries and longevity. I think the cost of a EV would do a person far better to invested into something else. (non auto related)

Tesla is laying off ten percent of its staff. Other EV manufacturers are doing the same. This in turn will slow mining, battery manufacturing rippling thru subcontracting all the way down to battery recycling —I don't think carbon tax is the driver. If the gas industry is worried they aren't showing it.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Club Supporter
    I'm sure these comparisons (Hybrid vs ICE) are not unlike those when ICE was the "new" technology vs Horse and Buggy. Incumbent at the time had economies of scale, built supply chain (hay, leather, shoes, etc), "refueling" stations, parking (ie. hitching posts everywhere), and the new tech had none of that and needed subsidies of various forms to develop and market development to bring down costs over time.

When the EV developers all adopt a standard EV pack analogous to this…

…where you can swap your battery at a service station for a fresh one in a matter of minutes….

Then I’m all in.
    -Don____________

When it came to buying a new service vehicle ( I hate the dedicated mini transits due to short narrow wheel base and uncomfortable seats) I looked at ev. Decided it wasn’t worth the upfront costs and the risk of long days requiring a long pit stop making a long day longer.

I looked at hybrid. But the hybrid suvs seem to be all FWD (or were at the time)
    Decided that an suv that nets 7.5-8l/100lm with awd was a better choice than an suv that nets 6l/100lm but is fwd only

As I mentioned the range in the lightning was deal killer

The cost break done on the hybrid didn’t make sense a few years ago when the extra cost was so much. Now that that cost is lower figured I would try it.

My truck pulls a trailer 2-3 days a week and the wife commutes the 3-5 days a week (about 20 min one way rural driving)
    We were getting a combined fuel economy of 17-18l/100lm with our 2020 5.0
    So far we are netting 13l/100lm combined with the hybrid. It also tows WAY better than the 5.0. Way more power.

With no trailer and my wife’s light foot she is seeing 9.5 to 10l/100km on her commutes to and from work. Very very happy with that since it’s still a very capable truck.

I would consider an ev like the Mach e for her as a commuter but it’s hard to justify the cost of a whole other car since I would not want an ev as the only car we had.

Guy in the sweeet lookin STI on the 401 earlier................. sorry about your feelings.