Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gents, it was a good run

Gents, it was a good run

I knew I had rushed my decision when I initially purchased the car 3 years ago. It was supposed to be clear weather and on the day i went to go see it, there was an hour long rain storm the second i walked up to the car... on the day I went to go take delivery - the same thing.. poured the entire time i drove there, down poured as i finalized payment and continued down pouring all the way home. I should have listened to the universe and walked away but, didnt.
    The car had just too much of a hardcore track set up, i spent way too much money on it for only 295hp paired with lots of electric gremlins and not much potential through the 2V platform. Last summer the car kept randomly shutting off with the Theft light flashing, car would be running perfectly then all of a sudden shut off at highway speeds with the THEFT light on... i suspected it was due to Ford's junk PATS system.
    Turns out I had a few bad grounds and a terribly failing alternator ... seemed to have fixed the issue.

At this point I just didnt feel comfortable having my daughter in the car... and that is primarily the reason why I got it, so I could share memories with the wife and my daughter.
    We love going to car meets in the summer and its something my wife and I have shared for a long time and want to continue sharing with our daughter.

I ended up selling the car to a 21 year old mechanic out in Alberta.

Now I'm on a patient hunt for:

- 03/04 Mach 1 ... 5 spd, must be black or DSG

or

- 98 to 02 Trans Am firebird or ws6, 6spd, must be black

What do you guys think of both of these cars?

My 2 cents

Both cars you mention are cool cars but they are aging so finding good ones without rust etc is getting harder.

Love the Mach 1 but you pay a premium for a lower production car and it is a bit unique so some mods will be more expensive

That gen of Pontiac was never my thing but I’ve heard they are great cars to own and of course mods are easy and cheap.

Personally, if looking for a reliable, good power car, that’s fun and won’t break the bank, I’d be looking to the early coyote mustang, maybe 13-14.

Sounds like you made the right decision selling and it's very justified.
    Last edited by MUSTANGWOP; 03-14-2024 at 02:02 PM.

I agree with Uncle Buck…..I’d skip both those cars and personally look for a 2011+ Mustang GT 5L.

03-04 Mach is cool and all but under powered and expensive to mod and still $ for a good one.
    98-02 4th Gen I’ve owned and good bang for buck and decent platform but also hard to find a good one and not cheap for a WS6.

If you're unhappy with the power of the 2v... the trans am won't be that much faster... same thing with the mach in all honesty.
    Might be happier in a 2011-2014 GT with the coyote in it.
    Even the 2015 GT range is starting to come back down to reality in price. Seen quite a few in the high 20s low 30s the past month.
    Really just comes down to what is important to you...

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Mach is a cool car but the T/A is cooler imo, that being said, make sure you get some seat time in the T/A before committing-it’s a much different driving experience than a Mustang….much worse IMO. If it was me I’d go Mach and just do a nice catback

Honestly, from everything that you’ve said you won’t be as happy as you think with any of the choices you listed. I had a 2v GT coupe that I bought new, and I never looked back once I sold it after owning it for 11 years.

If you want to stay in a Mustang look at a 13-14 or 15+ s550.

Another option is to get a 13-15 5th generation Camaro SS or if you can swing it a ZL1.

Both are fun rides, both the coyote and the LS make great sounds and would make the cars you mentioned feel like antiques.

Happy hunting
    FABMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Mach is a cool car but the T/A is cooler imo, that being said, make sure you get some seat time in the T/A before committing-it’s a much different driving experience than a Mustang….much worse IMO. If it was me I’d go Mach and just do a nice catback
    This, I owned a 4th gen F body and still think back to how I could never get comfortable inside it. If I'm honest I'd pick neither of the cars you listed for the intended purpose. The idea of putting a car seat in the back of a New Edge coupe or an Fbody would honestly make me give up and take my daily. Likewise either of the two options you listed are basically the same age as your car was so the potential for gremlins (Mach still has PATS and WS6 has VATS), old parts, and breakdowns are about the same. The Fbodys trunk/hatch is pretty useless for a stroller/wagon as well if the T tops are stored from what I recall. New Edge Mach trunk is decent enough I guess.

End of the day for a family fun weekend cruiser I'd much prefer a new car with more modern crash test standards, ideally the car seat LATCH system, and personally 4 doors. I've been starting to keep an eye out for gen 2/3 CTS-Vs, w212 AMG E63s and F10 M5's for this purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    My 2 cents

Both cars you mention are cool cars but they are aging so finding good ones without rust etc is getting harder.

Love the Mach 1 but you pay a premium for a lower production car and it is a bit unique so some mods will be more expensive

That gen of Pontiac was never my thing but I’ve heard they are great cars to own and of course mods are easy and cheap.

Personally, if looking for a reliable, good power car, that’s fun and won’t break the bank, I’d be looking to the early coyote mustang, maybe 13-14.
    For some reason i'm in absolute love with that firebird/ws6 design ... i've ridden passenger and I understand the car is literally 10 miles long in teh front end lol but that t-top is so fun.
    Unfortunately my budget is about $16-$17k all in, so that doesnt allow me to get into a 13-14.

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    Honestly, from everything that you’ve said you won’t be as happy as you think with any of the choices you listed. I had a 2v GT coupe that I bought new, and I never looked back once I sold it after owning it for 11 years.

If you want to stay in a Mustang look at a 13-14 or 15+ s550.

Another option is to get a 13-15 5th generation Camaro SS or if you can swing it a ZL1.

Both are fun rides, both the coyote and the LS make great sounds and would make the cars you mentioned feel like antiques.

Happy hunting
    My big draw towards the Newedge is my addition to their styling lol... and the fact that i would pay $30 for insurance.
    The over all budget only allows for something less than $17k