Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Thinking of putting a beam in for our kitchen.

There is currently a partial wall separating the kitchen and dining room. It’s not load bearing

The floor joists above run the length of the room and are 2x10 and the room is 19.5 feet long.

There is no sagging that I can see however when we did the bathroom upstairs we relocated the tub so it’s almost in the middle of that span.

I’m thinking since I’m in there and removing this partial wall I should put support in just in case. Since the house is around 100 years old

Width of the room is 11 feet. Does the thickness to length rule apply in this case?
    Which would mean I can go a double laminated 2x12 to span that 11ft. And then carry the weight down to the jack posts that are already there in the basement?

Removing a wall ....the City is going to want an engineer sign off on it, a letter stating it’s non-load bearing. If it’s load bearing, the engineer will size the beam for you. If it’s non-load bearing then the beam is just for decoration (peace of mind?) and you can use whatever size beam you want.
    -Don____________

was a 2 foot wall put in 40 years after the house was built. to cap then end of the cupboards. I still need them to sign off that's its not load bearing?

room on the other side of stairs is identical size and layout. and no wall in the middle.

Went and looked at the Cutlass. Frame and body are both in exceptional condition for an 84 except for a couple of rust bubbles around the rear quarter window. Our bodywork skills are very minimal. Should this be something that scares us off or use it in the negotiation?

Not uncommon to see a freak rust spot on an otherwise super clean car.

It’s supposed to be a grandfather-father-granddaughter project so a little work that we can do over time while still driving it should be fine.

Hope it works out.

The incompetence involved with this kind of shiat blows my mind. To think no one thought to check the proto type under low light before moving forward with them. Add to that the butt ugly look, well done.

TORONTO -- The Ontario government has confirmed to CTV News Toronto that they are looking into reports that the province's new licence plates are difficult to read at night.

Club Supporter
    And they had an issue with dropping the front plate before - now you can't see either.

Oh so typical though, remake of something that worked perfectly for years only to see latest n greatest be a fail.