Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Kind of like my disappointment the other day. Killing time on YouTube and in one video see this beautiful. Boat. Dark sleek. Video is a few years old. I think man that’s nice wonder how far away I am from owning one.

Problem with boats in videos it’s hard to judge size.

Turns out it was a Vandutch 55.

Yeah they go used for around 1.2 million.

Never going to happen.

Yea, I know nothing about boats aside from all the ones I think are nice cost more than I'd ever fathom spending on a boat. Buddy has a really nice 34ft Sea Ray, I think early to mid 2000s. Always assumed it was like a 30-40k boat, come to find out I could buy one of my aforementioned dream cars for the price of it now. I am definitely not a boat guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I think a clean SC300 is worth more than the same SC400 due to that fact, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I think a patient buyer can find a non turbo variant 300 for about the same price as a decent 400.

A turbo 300 is another story.

I’m struggling to keep my 400 stock. I upgraded the brakes and put in a Torsen from a 300 but will leave it at that......
    Turbo 300 is not available as factory for USDM or Canadian spec, they were all N/A 2JZ. Most guys either swap in the GTE motor or aftermarket turbo kit, or you buy a JDM Soarer which was 1JZ turbo.

The problem with stuff that is heavily engineered is engineers are not often technicians. Also for whatever reason whenever they claim a highly inaccessible part is that way because it's not a wear or often replaced part, they're ignoring the concept of the bathtub curve and laughing in the face of Murphy and his laws.

huh.
    I've never heard of the "bathtub curve". I guess we don't encounter that failure mode often in structural engineering. It would be very very bad if we had the "early 'infant mortality' failures" portion of the curve in buildings.
    -Don____________

I have never heard of the bathtub curve either, but in my industry (Electro-mechanical power transmission) I do see plenty of examples of machine design and/ or installation locations looking good on paper, but no one taking into account the real world requirements of maintenance and replacement of equipment in conjunction with auxiliary equipment and machines

In the appliance industry the engineers, manufactures and customers all care far more about how something looks than how easy it is to service.

I thought of an example from a structural engineering design standpoint that exists in my industry, not from a safety aspect as Don is referring to, but again from the maintenance standpoint. We supply gearmotors that drive large bucket elevators. Our 10,000lb gear reducer and 350hp motor could be located 200+ feet in the air on top of the silos. The well thought out structural designers will include steel i-beams overhead of our equipment to allow for the motor or reducer to be lifted out of the way with a beam trolley, the alternative is to have to rent a crane and lift from the ground

The photo below shows the additional structure on top of the elevator heads to allow for the beam trolley (very top of the yellow structure on the right hand side)

https://goo.gl/images/eZLdJp

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I have never heard of the bathtub curve either, but in my industry (Electro-mechanical power transmission) I do see plenty of examples of machine design and/ or installation locations looking good on paper, but no one taking into account the real world requirements of maintenance and replacement of equipment in conjunction with auxiliary equipment and machines
    Wow, I thought I was the only member of the TMC dumb enough to be in the PT business.