Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Oh she knew, I was very clear about it. But apparently if you don’t read the clause in your manual then it doesn’t apply to you?..?

It’s only gonna get worse because since sears got off Scott free with dropping all the warranty peole had paid for we have seen manufactures and warranty company’s canceling warranty left right and Center for any reason.
    that's too bad to hear - hope the bulk of your business isn't warranty - I have friends that still do service calls and now they get credit card payment over phone before they go (different industry)

We are maybe 50/50 warranty. It’s tyipialy not that bad. Since there are very few techs and we ar the best in the area I can push for extras that they normally don’t pay.

I try and only work with manufactures on stuff we sell that are known to stand behind their stuff.

Be interesting to see in what the industry will do in the next little while.
    Already have had talks with GE (the manufacture we sell) about getting more dealers with there own techs. They didn’t like my answe of pay more. But there are areas in Ontario with no services at all. And customers are having to drive product (full size appliances) over an hour to get them serviced.

LG made a bone head move earlier they tyipicaly won’t let you service their product without selling it. We have tried in the past to no avail. Then then decided to cut out all the independent dealers and sell only to the big box / national dealers
    Over night they lost all their authorized services. Because the big box/ national dealers don’t have in house service departments. They very quickly saw the error and now are opening up there service limits. Time will tell if it’s a worth while move.

Have been told by a few customers now that purchased extended warranty packages. Usually you buy a 5 year plan and you have 5 years of coverage. Now they are writing in cost limits. Had a customer with 5 years coverage. Had a service call at about the 3 year mark. Cost met the limit the coverage company paid for the repair and sent her a letter informing her that she used up her coverage and had no more warranty. Customer rwas fuming.

Lesson here is read the fine print of your contract.

We are maybe 50/50 warranty. It’s tyipialy not that bad. Since there are very few techs and we ar the best in the area I can push for extras that they normally don’t pay.

I try and only work with manufactures on stuff we sell that are known to stand behind their stuff.

Be interesting to see in what the industry will do in the next little while.
    Already have had talks with GE (the manufacture we sell) about getting more dealers with there own techs. They didn’t like my answe of pay more. But there are areas in Ontario with no services at all. And customers are having to drive product (full size appliances) over an hour to get them serviced.

LG made a bone head move earlier they tyipicaly won’t let you service their product without selling it. We have tried in the past to no avail. Then then decided to cut out all the independent dealers and sell only to the big box / national dealers
    Over night they lost all their authorized services. Because the big box/ national dealers don’t have in house service departments. They very quickly saw the error and now are opening up there service limits. Time will tell if it’s a worth while move.

Have been told by a few customers now that purchased extended warranty packages. Usually you buy a 5 year plan and you have 5 years of coverage. Now they are writing in cost limits. Had a customer with 5 years coverage. Had a service call at about the 3 year mark. Cost met the limit the coverage company paid for the repair and sent her a letter informing her that she used up her coverage and had no more warranty. Customer rwas fuming.

Lesson here is read the fine print of your contract.
    We just had some warranty performed on our LG about a month ago - I don't know the details my wife handles it all, I really didn't think people fixed this stuff anymore, I would of just threw it out and got a new one (that's one of the reasons I have a wife..lol) but it went pretty smooth but the service guy did have to come a long way twice I'm not sure if it cost us anything - yes I hate all that warranty crap - stopped doing it for customers had nothin but trouble especially with the ABS company WABCO (automotive) I would steer customers to spec equipment with specific parts - manufacturing that was the easiest best backing. - I personally would pay more for a product that didn't have warranty! I sometimes refuse the purchase if the seller starts trying to sell me extra warrenty

It’s a fine line, some places are really pushy. We try not to and sell the warranty form a companie that has the best customer er service that I have seen.

It’s a difficult position. Two trips are usually required. One to diagnose and one to install parts, everything is so model specific anymore it’s hard to stock parts, and the electronic stuff just dosnt last banking around in the service truck.

There is such a weird view of the industry. The customer wants all the fancy gizmos and options, they want the longevity and they want it as cheap as possable. But seems to be one of the cases that you can pick two but not three

Prop,e forget that the fridge that lasted their parents 30 years. Cost their parents a grand back in the 70’s, (when a car cost you what 6000). That same car is now 40000, but you can still by a basic fridge for 1000.

Had a lady buy the cheapest washer We carried. Tried to talk her up into a better unit but wasn’t having any of it. Then complained that it was noisy, and vibrated. Ect, kept comparing it to her daughters. Finally I said yes your machine is entry level and cost 600 bucks your daughters machine was $2500.
    You can’t buy a cheap car and then complain that it’s not a nice as a bmw. It’s the same with appliances.

Lol

It’s a fine line, some places are really pushy. We try not to and sell the warranty form a companie that has the best customer er service that I have seen.

It’s a difficult position. Two trips are usually required. One to diagnose and one to install parts, everything is so model specific anymore it’s hard to stock parts, and the electronic stuff just dosnt last banking around in the service truck.

There is such a weird view of the industry. The customer wants all the fancy gizmos and options, they want the longevity and they want it as cheap as possable. But seems to be one of the cases that you can pick two but not three

Prop,e forget that the fridge that lasted their parents 30 years. Cost their parents a grand back in the 70’s, (when a car cost you what 6000). That same car is now 40000, but you can still by a basic fridge for 1000.

Had a lady buy the cheapest washer We carried. Tried to talk her up into a better unit but wasn’t having any of it. Then complained that it was noisy, and vibrated. Ect, kept comparing it to her daughters. Finally I said yes your machine is entry level and cost 600 bucks your daughters machine was $2500.
    You can’t buy a cheap car and then complain that it’s not a nice as a bmw. It’s the same with appliances.

Lol
    yes I don't envy anyone with a public business - I deal mainly in commercial with other business so I can be a little aggressive and sometimes outspoken. I've been kinda lucky because I have a small but good customer base for 20yrs. and we have trust in each other and work together to maintain - probably the main difference between commercial and public - I know if I had a public business I would likely piss a lot of people off...lol

We used to deal with some commercial (restaurant) but involved a whole different set of suppliers and was always fix this “yesterday”. Lol

Looks like Calgary wants the 2026 Olympics bu they have no money so the feds are helping out.
    Just can’t help but think there are better way we could spend 2.9 BILLION dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I plan on moving in the next 12 months which will mean leaving behind the old appliances. I’ll need to replace at the other end. I’m all about “cost of ownership” versus lowest initial capitol cost.

I’d prefer robust and simple over shiny deco colors and bells n whistles. From what I see for consumer level appliances it’s a lot of show and not much go (reliability).

I’m thinking i’ll buy commercial machines as I don’t have confidence in the new consumer offerings.

They don’t make em like the used to.
    Commercial dishwashers usually start around 5k

Stoves and fridges will easily drop you close to 10 each.

So your saying you can replace your appliances 10X before you recoup the cost of commercial appliances.

We've have decent luck with the consumer versions lasting at least 10 years. So for us, the math says stick with the consumer appliances.
    -Don____________

Oh for sure. The difference is more pay for the cheapest of something better

The range is so huge. I mean bottom of the line fridge will run you 5-600. Depending on sales.
    Average will be between 1000 and 2000.
    Good stuff can be 3000 +.
    But then you can still go all out and buy ultra height end in like subzero/monogram and still drop 10000K on a fridge.

It’s just you can’t spend 600 and expect the same that that 2000 dollar one is gonna be.