Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Another vote for the CT Maximum torque wrench. Got both the 1/2” and the 3/8”.
    Plus it goes on sale occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    gonna need a bigger drink
    It’s not the size, it’s the quantity.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    ...I'd consider a torques wrench failed if inaccurate or failing to be repeatable. With a cheapo how do you know.
    If you can do math, you can test it.

-Don____________

Another way to calibrateis with a luggage scale presuming that you calibrated the scale lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    If you can do math, you can test it.

I built a digital torque wrench back in my university days, and tested it as above. Mind you it was only a 1/4” drive and measured lbin.

Tested a couple of cheaper versions against my calibrated Snap on, although others are off by a pound or three, repeatably has been decent / more than good enough for what most here will use them for.

In the trucking industry wheel torque is important - available are various length extensions that will allow only so much torque but twisting (most people don't use). I seldom use a torque wrench (I use on truck tires just to make sure all nuts have snugged - I wont get into the details) but always try to know what the torque rate is - although it's probably important on a set of heads where gasket compression is critical I would use a torque wrench. I've read articles that have made comparisons testing torque wrenches of all qualities. The test showed that the top of the line was no better then the cheapo's. They all lost calibration after some use and it was surprising how quickly. I think the most important thing to torqueing is to be equal throughout and follow the correct sequence. Some people use lock tight, personally I've never done this a have had no trouble if you understand the importance of sequence and get close to the correct tightening spec.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    In the trucking industry wheel torque is important - available are various length extensions that will allow only so much torque but twisting (most people don't use).
    Actually lug nut torque is an inspection item and is a fine for under and over torqued lugs.Those torque bars are the worst idea ever invented. My brother proved to the tire shop that they are complete garbage after a 3/4" 1400 ft/lb impact could not remove his lugs after they were "torqued" using torque bars. Went to the tire shop and got the shop foreman to torque his wheels using a torque bar. A few hits with the impact and stop... Torque pretty good. Jam the impact back on it and give more hits and the wheel was torqued to over 1200 ft/lbs using the same torque bar. Shop foreman grabbed all the torque bars and threw them in the garbage. Now they all use a torque wrench and they must see movement before the wrench clicks.

torque bars are often misused. designed for a gentle brap brap. everyone just hogs on them and once you torque the spring out of them they are garbage. proper torque wrench is always best
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 12-19-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Think I've watched 359 TwinSticks videos to much cuz I really wanna bid on this

https://www.rbauction.com/1978-peter...kie-ab-2019506
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    torque bars are often misused. designed for a genital brap brap. everyone just hogs on them and once you torque the spring out of them they are garbage. proper torque wrench is always best
    LOL. Not sure I want my tire guy to give my genitals a brap brap...