Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Thank da lord for no pics.

Ever wonder where the term Bluetooth came from? I recently did a google search and found out...Everyone at work was like "Oh, that's so cool!" LOL...Enjoy.

For how innovative the technology, the name doesn’t sound techie. It’s not an acronym and doesn’t stand for anything. So what does it mean?

Surprisingly, the name dates back more than a millennia to King Harald “Bluetooth” Gormsson who was well known for two things:
    •Uniting Denmark and Norway in 958.
    •His dead tooth, which was a dark blue/grey color, and earned him the nickname Bluetooth.

In 1996, three industry leaders, Intel, Ericsson, and Nokia, met to plan the standardization of this short-range radio technology to support connectivity and collaboration between different products and industries.

During this meeting, Jim Kardash from Intel suggested Bluetooth as a temporary code name. Kardash was later quoted as saying, "King Harald Bluetooth...was famous for uniting Scandinavia just as we intended to unite the PC and cellular industries with a short-range wireless link."

Bluetooth was only intended as a placeholder until marketing could come up with something really cool.

Later, when it came time to select a serious name, Bluetooth was to be replaced with either RadioWire or PAN (Personal Area Networking). PAN was the front runner, but an exhaustive search discovered it already had tens of thousands of hits throughout the internet.

A full trademark search on RadioWire couldn’t be completed in time for launch, making Bluetooth the only choice. The name caught on fast and before it could be changed, it spread throughout the industry, becoming synonymous with short-range wireless technology.

The Bluetooth logo is a bind rune merging the Younger Futhark runes (Hagall) (ᚼ) and (Bjarkan) (ᛒ), Harald's initials.

Very cool!
    ~Scott B

stangstevers
    When the world is on its last leg, I will pull out a lawn chair, grab a beer and watch it all burn to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    When the world is on its last leg, I will pull out a lawn chair, grab a beer and watch it all burn to hell.
    Don't think that will happen for at least another 10 years....exactly when I retire!!!....just my luck, eh? Think I'll have a cold beer too and watch it all burn to hell...

Ontario Budget Highlights
    For the first time, municipalities will be able to allow drinking in public spaces such as parks.

Bars and restaurants will be able to serve alcohol starting at 9 a.m., any day of the week.

All tax increases planned by the previous Wynne government on beer and wine have been cancelled.
    -Don____________

love how leading up to the budget. the left was all "be prepared for HUGE cuts" they talked of health care and education being set back years due to enormous cuts, people were literally going to die from the cuts.

then the budget comes out and the headlines are, moderate cuts, and cuts not as drastic as expected,

and the left response has been " oh so the budget wont be balanced as soon as you said!"

I have a feeling they could have taken the liberal budget word for word and released it and the liberals would have complained about it.

stangstevers
    That's racist

I love how every political party says they’ll balance the budget in 5-6 years when their term is only 4 years lol.
    I’ve perused thru some articles about the budget and am still waiting to get to the part where the Libs/NDP said my life would be ruined.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    love how leading up to the budget. the left was all "be prepared for HUGE cuts" they talked of health care and education being set back years due to enormous cuts, people were literally going to die from the cuts.

then the budget comes out and the headlines are, moderate cuts, and cuts not as drastic as expected,

and the left response has been " oh so the budget wont be balanced as soon as you said!"

I have a feeling they could have taken the liberal budget word for word and released it and the liberals would have complained about it.
    Where are you hanging out and what are you reading? I haven't seen anything that widespread or dire....other than the usual pockets you'd expect an opposing message from.