Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Good friend of mine runs a shop locally that does tint, ppf/wraps and aesthetic modifications. Mostly on higher end and exotic cars. He's paired himself with a local high end detailer and they refer work to each other and also tag up on certain jobs. Fair warning, what you're describing would require a staggering amount of man power and overhead. He works solo and it takes about a week to do a full 100% color change wrap (including jambs and all hidden areas). Likewise most of his clients while understanding, aren't interested in waiting around and half of the cars show up on trucks. Similarly the detailer takes a few days to do a full high end correction. They both have made a name for themselves and get work mostly on referral from other high end car owners but the constant complaint i hear (beyond deadlines and hours) is there's no shortage of guys working out of a garage trying to chop your prices down or claim they can do it faster.

In the same vein our local high end auto repair shop has a cafe/bistro in it, can't say I've ever seen it very busy at all.
    But Chris, this is the Essex County/Windsor way. It's not limited to the automotive industry. Years ago when I started on my own I only did computer installs (accounting software). I was high end but guaranteed my work....everyone and their uncle undercut me by at least 50%. I did get some calls to fix others work but it became tiresome. So now I don't do computer work and stick to accounting and tax.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    My dream is to build a tire/detail/wrap shop... a high-end luxury spot to get your car detailed (ceramic coated), tires/wheels installed and car wrapped/tinted... Maybe even make it exclusive for exotic, classic and muscle cars. Nicely appointed waiting room with coffee bar, hot chicks at reception, marble floors and white-glove treatment for your ride.

I need to do the research for a business plan and see how feasible this all is.
    What!!! no rub n tug....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Good friend of mine runs a shop locally that does tint, ppf/wraps and aesthetic modifications. Mostly on higher end and exotic cars. He's paired himself with a local high end detailer and they refer work to each other and also tag up on certain jobs. Fair warning, what you're describing would require a staggering amount of man power and overhead. He works solo and it takes about a week to do a full 100% color change wrap (including jambs and all hidden areas). Likewise most of his clients while understanding, aren't interested in waiting around and half of the cars show up on trucks. Similarly the detailer takes a few days to do a full high end correction. They both have made a name for themselves and get work mostly on referral from other high end car owners but the constant complaint i hear (beyond deadlines and hours) is there's no shortage of guys working out of a garage trying to chop your prices down or claim they can do it faster.

In the same vein our local high end auto repair shop has a cafe/bistro in it, can't say I've ever seen it very busy at all.
    Good points - doing a quality wrap is as intensive as a paint job - I decided against going ahead for a number of reasons but one that got me thinking was do I really want to remove door handles - lights - grills etc from cars in excess of 100,000.00 - tuner kids don't care and will wrap over rust - but to do all the re and re to make the job mint is very time consuming and frankly just scares me lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    But Chris, this is the Essex County/Windsor way. It's not limited to the automotive industry. Years ago when I started on my own I only did computer installs (accounting software). I was high end but guaranteed my work....everyone and their uncle undercut me by at least 50%. I did get some calls to fix others work but it became tiresome. So now I don't do computer work and stick to accounting and tax.
    Oh I know. Run in to it daily. Still doesnt annoy me any less...
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

If a cow stops producing milk does that make it a Milk Dud or an Udder Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    It's hard to be at work when the front porch looks like this.

Attachment 17862

LOL, nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    If a cow stops producing milk does that make it a Milk Dud or an Udder Failure
    Think it makes it hamburgers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

stangstevers
    So I keep getting work I don't want, I would have 3 houses right now to do with a lot of crown, wainscoting and trim lol Maybe this winter for fun when things die down a little. I do enjoy doing this sort of work.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    So I keep getting work I don't want, I would have 3 houses right now to do with a lot of crown, wainscoting and trim lol Maybe this winter for fun when things die down a little. I do enjoy doing this sort of work.
    Your crazy, when there’s work you take it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks