Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Is it enough to offset the loss in income tax revenue?

Sales tax only accounts for about 10% of tax revenue.
    While income tax accounts for about 50%.

And while they may enjoy a bit more sales tax, I’m sure they don’t welcome the associated inflation.
    -Don____________

I agree with Don, the government has been hemorrhaging money for the last 14 months, a 13% share on whatever % increase in some markets is hardly enough to pay attention to when talking about the government debt/ spending and tax revenue. Income tax is the obvious major money maker, but even if we keep the topic on consumer spending and the associated tax revenue how much less fuel has been used in the last 14 months, less money spent at restaurants, on clothing, activities etc.

The point being: the government would much much prefer more people working generating income tax, than the price of plywood going 3X
    -Don____________

You all missed the point. The Gov't will not step in to lower prices. They would be choking off a valuable source of income while they are already missing a bunch of income tax funds. I never said sales tax was a better revenue source than income tax.

^ It's bonus bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    You all missed the point. The Gov't will not step in to lower prices.
    It’s not missing the point, it’s understanding economics. The government has limited tools in controlling inflation (i.e lowering prices). It’s main tool is controlling the interest rates. And with interest rates already about as low as they can go, the government has little room to play with.

What would you have the government do to lower prices?
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    If it's a global supply chain issue with both lumber and the chemicals used, I'm not sure what the government can do in a free market/capitalism based economy? All commodities are on their way up - BofA today projected copper prices are expected to double so inflation will come in may waves based on supply/demand mis-match and uptick in consumer spending (pent-up demand) when things start to open up again.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    If it's a global supply chain issue with both lumber and the chemicals used, I'm not sure what the government can do in a free market/capitalism based economy? All commodities are on their way up - BofA today projected copper prices are expected to double so inflation will come in may waves based on supply/demand mis-match and uptick in consumer spending (pent-up demand) when things start to open up again.
    ahh "bearer of bad news"

so prices will stay up and never go down
    like rice 5-10 years ago(sack)- price went up due to devastating flood- from 13 to 22$, funny thing they never lowered it- realized that they can charge that much and people will pay for it

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Canadians are too compliant when it comes to this stuff. We all suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiestangowner View Post
    ahh "bearer of bad news"

so prices will stay up and never go down
    like rice 5-10 years ago(sack)- price went up due to devastating flood- from 13 to 22$, funny thing they never lowered it- realized that they can charge that much and people will pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Trying to build a drive shed. The Truss supplier would not lock in a price. They told us they will fit us in expect delivery in September and we will have to pay what ever that price is at the time. Would not give a quote.

None of our suppliers are talking about steel shortages. Only about manufacturing hold ups. Everything comes from China. China is lying about how hard they have been hit by Covid.

As for soft wood. Look into what options there are to buy wood from and what companies those companies have stakes in.

Business article was talking about how lumber companies have paid off a lifetimes worth of debt in the first quarter or 2021. But most defiantly not price gouging......
    I was told they’re are pure shortages from Texas after they had that storm. Nobody is told the truth, as for lumber I’m confused about the shortages cause don’t we produce our own ?

I hate how the news isn’t showing the whole picture of what’s happening to everyone. Only focusing on covid 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks