Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Like you said with news coverage focusing only on covid, what happened to the "two Michaels in China" trial that was so hot news a few months ago? Now nothing!!

Haven't heard about the study that the Liberals federal and provincial are always studying, " before an election", the rapid transit from Windsor to Montreal??
    Study goes back to days of Trudeau's grandfather Chretien and brought back by our Wynne last ditch effort . Every other dinky country has built one but a World power like Canada??
    6 years of Trump Trump Trump 28 hrs a day to nothing on the news and now there's the Rogers/Trump photo "Canadian CCN trash news flash".
    Sorry I have a license ramble.

They are hyper focused on telling 172 sides of the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by redo75 View Post
    Like you said with news coverage focusing only on covid, what happened to the "two Michaels in China" trial that was so hot news a few months ago?
    ....or the giant Chinese’s rocket booster about to fall on our heads?
    -Don____________

Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    ....or the giant Chinese’s rocket booster about to fall on our heads?
    That’s a media lie Don, to take our collective minds off of the fake virus that was designed to destroy the economy and it’s Bill Gates endorsed microchip carrying vaccine!

On the plus side my 5G reception is fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me! Help me Oprah Winfrey!” — Ricky Bobby

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zutz2v View Post
    I was told they’re are pure shortages from Texas after they had that storm. Nobody is told the truth, as for lumber I’m confused about the shortages cause don’t we produce our own ?

I hate how the news isn’t showing the whole picture of what’s happening to everyone. Only focusing on covid 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simple mismatch of demand and supply right now which will take some time to correct - the folks that really need the materials for their own supply chains (not retail, where demand is also up) are bidding up the prices by trying to lock in their cost through commodities futures.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Simple mismatch of demand and supply right now which will take some time to correct - the folks that really need the materials for their own supply chains (not retail, where demand is also up) are bidding up the prices by trying to lock in their cost through commodities futures.

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiestangowner View Post
    Yeah look up the futures market....at least the one Canadian timber stock I own has more or less fixed itself.

Or I may be off - haven't had the vaccine yet so no 5G upgrade yet.

Club Supporter
    Little more on the above discussion (part of longer article from G&M):

Red-hot lumber prices ease pressure on Trudeau to reach softwood deal with U.S.
    KONRAD YAKABUSKI
    PUBLISHED 18 HOURS AGO
    UPDATED MAY 5, 2021
    FOR SUBSCRIBERS
    You know these are strange times in the Canadian forest industry when lumber futures are hotter than bitcoin.

In the two decades until 2020, Canadian forest companies shed capacity and jobs faster than a champion lumberjack could saw through a sturdy Western white pine. Once the country’s dominant resource industry, the forest products sector shrank dramatically as newsprint consumption crumbled and the 2008 U.S. housing crash took a chainsaw to lumber prices.

Lumber is suddenly on fire, however, with U.S. housing starts hitting pre-crash 2006 levels and as consumers spend savings accumulated during the COVID-19 pandemic on home renovations instead of travel. Lumber futures for May delivery soared to a record of more than US$1,600 per thousand board feet on Tuesday on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange – about four times the average price fetched prior to the pandemic.

Most Canadian producers that supply the Western spruce, pine and fir (SPF) grades preferred for framing new houses slashed sawmill capacity in the decade before the pandemic and cannot increase production fast enough to satisfy surging demand. Soaring lumber costs have added upward of US$30,000 to the price of a new home in recent months, leading the U.S. National Association of Home Builders to call on President Joe Biden to scrap countervailing and anti-dumping duties on Canadian lumber imposed by the former Trump administration in 2017.

In the current bull market, the duties hurt U.S. consumers far more than lumber companies. Large Canadian-based producers such as Canfor Corp. CFP-T +1.85%increase
    and Resolute Forest Products Inc. RFP-T -2.42%decrease
    have not had it this good in more than two decades and are practically drowning in cash. Their share prices have skyrocketed in the past year and investors are piling into lumber stocks in hopes of riding what many see as a rising wave as supply bottlenecks drive wood prices even higher.

Vancouver-based Canfor reported first-quarter net income of $428-million, a nearly $500-million turnaround from a $70-million net loss in the same period in 2020. Montreal-based Resolute earned $87-million in the first quarter, up from a $1-million loss a year earlier, as juicy lumber profits helped offset a continuing decline in the company’s newsprint business.

If anything, the lumber boom has reduced the political pressure on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government to push for a new softwood lumber deal with the Biden administration. With lumber prices more than tripling in the past year, duties averaging around 9 per cent are practically a rounding error. Canfor’s duty was reduced to 4.62 per cent from 20.52 per cent last December by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Resolute faces a stiffer 20.25-per-cent duty.

Former Canadian trade official Eric Miller believes a new softwood deal is currently a lower priority for the Trudeau government than negotiating with the Biden administration to prevent a shutdown of Enbridge’s Line 5 natural gas pipeline by Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer or to exempt Canadian companies from the Buy America provisions of the new President’s multitrillion-dollar stimulus and infrastructure programs.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Little more on the above discussion (part of longer article from G&M):

Red-hot lumber prices ease pressure on Trudeau to reach softwood deal with U.S.
    KONRAD YAKABUSKI
    PUBLISHED 18 HOURS AGO
    UPDATED MAY 5, 2021
    FOR SUBSCRIBERS
    You know these are strange times in the Canadian forest industry when lumber futures are hotter than bitcoin.

In the two decades until 2020, Canadian forest companies shed capacity and jobs faster than a champion lumberjack could saw through a sturdy Western white pine. Once the country’s dominant resource industry, the forest products sector shrank dramatically as newsprint consumption crumbled and the 2008 U.S. housing crash took a chainsaw to lumber prices.

Lumber is suddenly on fire, however, with U.S. housing starts hitting pre-crash 2006 levels and as consumers spend savings accumulated during the COVID-19 pandemic on home renovations instead of travel. Lumber futures for May delivery soared to a record of more than US$1,600 per thousand board feet on Tuesday on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange – about four times the average price fetched prior to the pandemic.

Most Canadian producers that supply the Western spruce, pine and fir (SPF) grades preferred for framing new houses slashed sawmill capacity in the decade before the pandemic and cannot increase production fast enough to satisfy surging demand. Soaring lumber costs have added upward of US$30,000 to the price of a new home in recent months, leading the U.S. National Association of Home Builders to call on President Joe Biden to scrap countervailing and anti-dumping duties on Canadian lumber imposed by the former Trump administration in 2017.

In the current bull market, the duties hurt U.S. consumers far more than lumber companies. Large Canadian-based producers such as Canfor Corp. CFP-T +1.85%increase
    and Resolute Forest Products Inc. RFP-T -2.42%decrease
    have not had it this good in more than two decades and are practically drowning in cash. Their share prices have skyrocketed in the past year and investors are piling into lumber stocks in hopes of riding what many see as a rising wave as supply bottlenecks drive wood prices even higher.

Vancouver-based Canfor reported first-quarter net income of $428-million, a nearly $500-million turnaround from a $70-million net loss in the same period in 2020. Montreal-based Resolute earned $87-million in the first quarter, up from a $1-million loss a year earlier, as juicy lumber profits helped offset a continuing decline in the company’s newsprint business.

If anything, the lumber boom has reduced the political pressure on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government to push for a new softwood lumber deal with the Biden administration. With lumber prices more than tripling in the past year, duties averaging around 9 per cent are practically a rounding error. Canfor’s duty was reduced to 4.62 per cent from 20.52 per cent last December by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Resolute faces a stiffer 20.25-per-cent duty.

Former Canadian trade official Eric Miller believes a new softwood deal is currently a lower priority for the Trudeau government than negotiating with the Biden administration to prevent a shutdown of Enbridge’s Line 5 natural gas pipeline by Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer or to exempt Canadian companies from the Buy America provisions of the new President’s multitrillion-dollar stimulus and infrastructure programs.
    Translation.

it helps Trudeau because they don't have to bother negotiating. It helps biden because he blames the increase on EVil Trump tariffs. It helps the rich relators, and contractors because they make more money of the increase in their percentage based markups. it helps the rich multinational companies who are making bank of the increases, it doesn't bother the rich or lucky "work" from home people who can afford the extra cost for the new deck. but is screws the low income or average person who has bee saving for a project, or wants to buy their fist home and cant afford to absorbed the extra cost.

it just bothers me how some people are quick to hate on the evil small business person for just trying to scrounge a living. some of who have been fined during this pandemic because the government is "cracking down on price gouging" but so many are quick to justify the rich mega companies getting richer.

Club Supporter
    Is that the takeaway on a decade long (or more) structural supply/demand issue that's underpinning bidding wars now? It's likely any government in place now would focus less on this since they have limited ability to change it in the next 12+ months (takes longer to build new processing infrastructure) versus focusing on other more pressing issues like the threat this week for the Enbridge line to be shut down in the US which would interrupt the flow of oil to markets in the south or getting a tax/duty exemption for Canadian products in cross-border trade which can have immediate effect. The demand/supply issue is capitalism/free markets at work and it will resolve itself over time - that's what happens in capitalism. Do we not like that now?
    Last edited by 92redragtop; 05-06-2021 at 10:05 AM.