Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,506

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

how do you start a recall election? we sure could use a couple

I bought a cheap French Press in the past and was just junk. Now I own two French presses from Bodum. Much better quality and certainly makes the experience of drinking coffee more pleasing. I got lazy and stuck with my Keurig. I found the french press too much work to clean afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Used one for years. Quick and consistent. Great for a quick coffee in the am out the door to work.

When ours quit Went to a French press. No waste. Better coffee. Just requires 10 min instead for 2

Hmmmm I saw that and was thinking how well it works and now I know. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    I'm a former French Press user. IMO the downside of FP is the coffee grounds remain resident in the vessel which adds bitterness. I switched to Aeropress a couple years back. It's a modified FP that pushes the coffee/hot water through a filter and plunger that you put on top of your mug. Grounds are not resident in the vessel after plunging. Makes for much smoother coffee versus the FP. Makes one cup at a time, which is perfect for me (bachelor). I set my countertop burr grinder to Turkish grind (super fine) and get a higher yield out of my coffee (as in more cups per pound of coffee). FP requires a coarser grind to capture the particle in the mesh. The Aeropress filter is much finer and can tolerate a finer particle.

Not a bad idea. Seen those. So do you use a fine grind or coarse grind coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LXCoupe View Post
    I have reusable k cups for my Keurig. Just add the coffee. Dump the used grounds in the green bin, quick rinse and ready to go for the next cup. Fast and easy. Wouldn't use the machine if I didn't have the reusable cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Hmmmm I saw that and was thinking how well it works and now I know. Thanks!
    I'm a coffee addict. I vacationed on a coffee plantation in Panama years ago that grows some of the planets most expensive coffees ( which I didn't find to my taste).

I'm also cheap AF and adverse to creating excess waste (inbuilt excuse to hoard parts). I haven't looked into cup or cartridge style coffee makers but assume the cost per cup to be greater. I compost my grounds and do create a bit of waste with the filters which don't compost well. IMO this is a smaller footprint than cups.

I'd estimate I get 20-30% more cups of coffee per unit of coffee bean by going to super fine Turkish grind. I find the sweet spot in flavor versus price to be Starbucks coffee, favorite blend being Pike. I wait until it goes on sale at Costco and buy 10+ bags at a time. There's certainly better coffee out there, but also more expensive. The Costco espresso blend is also pretty good (red bag) when I run out of sale priced Starbucks

I'm good for 4-6 cups a day.

Another thing to consider is that water makes up the majority of your coffee. I use a simple Brita style charcoal water filter.

I also like the ceremony of grind, boil, press. I can see the utility of fire and forget of cartridge style coffee makers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    I'm a coffee addict.

I'm also cheap AF
    I'd suggest roasting your own beans then. Easier than it sounds, it's cheap, and ...freshly roasted coffee.
    -Don____________

Just don't drink coffee, problem solved guys

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I'd suggest roasting your own beans then. Easier than it sounds, it's cheap, and ...freshly roasted coffee.
    I observed the whole process from harvest to roast when I stayed on the plantation. I hadn't considered doing my own roasting. If I didn't have plans on moving I'd agree with you. My next place will ideally have a wood fired boiler for heat and I could see a coffee roaster as part of that system.

I could see sourcing beans being a vortex.

Most coffee growers harvest entire plants at the same time. This means under and over ripe fruit/beans are included with the ripe. Separating from the fruit, drying, and aging all affect the quality of the bean.

BTW, dark roast coffee is the easiest to produce. Lower quality beans and looser roasting control for dark roasts. Light and medium blends require higher quality beans and better roasting control or they'll produce blah results. Of course a blah light or medium can be turned into an acceptable dark.

I still don't have a cup holder in my Foxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Hi Ross,Comp has still not received their 2V cores in. They have just updated us that they will not be here until the end of the month, putting your cams ready about the first week in February.
    I'm very sorry for the continued delays and we thank you for your patience." - Modular Head Shop

Ordered my cams October 11th BTW.
    Covid sucks.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'