Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Not just skilled trades - the internet has facilitated spread to healthcare and science.
    How many of them are held personally and financially responsible when wrong? I’d guess not many.

the information age is the intellectual equivalent to acquiring parts but not finishing the build. It goes for all knowledge, not just trades. Knowing the info is available "at some later date" is good enough, instead of actual learning. We're all guilty of "google memory" which is no longer making mental effort to learn or remember things that are easily looked up. Who even remembers phone numbers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    Who even remembers phone numbers anymore.
    Are you suggesting that people used to memorize phone numbers?

No. They used one of these ^^^
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    How many of them are held personally and financially responsible when wrong? I’d guess not many.
    I think in trades and in STEM there are varying levels of liabilities and responsibilities to cover malpractice, errors and omissions.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    I think in trades and in STEM there are varying levels of liabilities and responsibilities to cover malpractice, errors and omissions.
    Sure if I am found negligent and blew someone’s house up there is legal action same as if a dr is negligent and kills someone on the operating table but I’m talking more day to day stuff.

As an example.

Called re an oven not working. On diagnoses uncovered two separate issues. Each required their own part to fix was very clear with customer both parts were required. Customer did not want to pay for both parts. Only wanted the cheaper of the two. I was very clear would not fix all the issues they were having. On their request replaced only the one part.
    Hour worth of labor plus part plus service call fee.

Customer calls back a week later my stove isnt fixed you need to get back here and fix it

Quote the customer the other part I had originally recommended and an hour labor.

Customer loses It. Demands the work for free followed by obligatory "I have been dealing with your company for years. If you don’t fix this I’m telling everyone I know how you screwed me"

Two choices. Fix it and eat the parts and labor to make the customer happy or Stick to my guns with all the email correspondence knowing full well they will bad mouth you to everyone they talk to about appliances and likely leave you with a bad google or Facebook review that goes unverified and will forever be seen without the supporting information by other future customers.

This kind of customer for the last two years has been an almost weekly occurrence. And anyone who has spent time running their own service business will have similar stories.

Have you ever heard of a doctor paying out of their own pocket to make a patent happy?

What about all the scientists that have been wrong for the last couple years. Are they paying anyone for lost time or business?
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 04-20-2022 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Are you suggesting that people used to memorize phone numbers?

No. They used one of these ^^^
    my parents had one of those. i think i broke it as a kid trying to figure out what sort of magic made it work.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Sure if I am found negligent and blew someone’s house up there is legal action same as if a dr is negligent and kills someone on the operating table but I’m talking more day to day stuff.

As an example.

Called re an oven not working. On diagnoses uncovered two separate issues. Each required their own part to fix was very clear with customer both parts were required. Customer did not want to pay for both parts. Only wanted the cheaper of the two. I was very clear would not fix all the issues they were having. On their request replaced only the one part.
    Hour worth of labor plus part plus service call fee.

Customer calls back a week later my stove isnt fixed you need to get back here and fix it

Quote the customer the other part I had originally recommended and an hour labor.

Customer loses It. Demands the work for free followed by obligatory "I have been dealing with your company for years. If you don’t fix this I’m telling everyone I know how you screwed me"

Two choices. Fix it and eat the parts and labor to make the customer happy or Stick to my guns with all the email correspondence knowing full well they will bad mouth you to everyone they talk to about appliances and likely leave you with a bad google or Facebook review that goes unverified and will forever be seen without the supporting information by other future customers.

This kind of customer for the last two years has been an almost weekly occurrence. And anyone who has spent time running their own service business will have similar stories.

Have you ever heard of a doctor paying out of their own pocket to make a patent happy?

What about all the scientists that have been wrong for the last couple years. Are they paying anyone for lost time or business?
    Yes, some have to work with "customers" (even more so in private systems like the US) where there are repeated attempts to adjust/repair after procedures like knee/hip replacements, laser eye surgery, dental issues, etc. And when insurance goes up by tens of thousands these professionals are essentially paying out of pocket. Scientists who run their own businesses pay for work/R&D that may not pan out so both sides have respective nuts on the line.

im not talking about the US. Im talking here. a dr gets paid every time they see a patient regardless of if its due to a misdiagnosis. a patient pays for their own meds regardless of if they work or its the 3rd or 4th time the dr had "tried this one to see if it works"

insurance has nothing to do with it. but if you have never been in that position its something people just dont get.

Here is hoping the weather really is about to change for the better.

^Ha! Woke up this morning thankful it wasn’t snow!
    -Don____________