Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Tonight I will be experiencing homelessness through 360 Experience along with some of my colleagues to raise money and awareness about homeless youth.
    We will be sleeping on the street, no blankets, no extra water - nothing.
    Very excited!
    https://secure.e2rm.com/p2p/fundrais...m/996881/en-CA
    Noble idea.

Shellenberger did an in depth study that concluded the majority of homelessness is not due to economic factors but rather the preferred behaviours aren’t welcome in shelters etc.

The upshot isn’t don’t help, but economic help is mostly enabling, and that “real” help needs to take another form.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    Noble idea.

Shellenberger did an in depth study that concluded the majority of homelessness is not due to economic factors but rather the preferred behaviours aren’t welcome in shelters etc.

The upshot isn’t don’t help, but economic help is mostly enabling, and that “real” help needs to take another form.
    I agree.
    Having volunteered for Haven Mens Shelter for the last 5 years I can tell you some of these guys would rather be frozen to death outside than put up with some of the nut jobs in the shelters... you sleep... then after you wake up you find out all your stuff is stolen... or some drugged out junky tries to rape you in the middle of the night... bed bugs .. etc.
    Its pretty crazy what some of them have to put up with.

It’s one of those things that I really don’t get.

Local “large town” to me put millions of dollars into “helping solve the homeless problem”

Asking around seems the number of homeless in said town is probably less than 10 people.

No one knows where the money went.

Biggest issue is it’s the mental health and addiction Issues that are the real problem. You could build them a house but If the other issues are not addressed. Nothing is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    It’s one of those things that I really don’t get.

Local “large town” to me put millions of dollars into “helping solve the homeless problem”

Asking around seems the number of homeless in said town is probably less than 10 people.

No one knows where the money went.

Biggest issue is it’s the mental health and addiction Issues that are the real problem. You could build them a house but If the other issues are not addressed. Nothing is fixed.
    Addiction and lack of want to end addiction is the primary issue. Build a house for homeless crackheads and you have a crack house.

This isn’t a revelation, it’s an income source for the organizations purporting to “fight the problem”. Solving the problem means loss of an income and job.

It’s also a source for contributors to feel charitable, which isn’t nothing. A well intentioned contributor is a good person, just ill informed. Few have time or inclination to do homework, and the organizations “bank” on this.

Not much different from a healthy portion of gym members paying dues but never actually going to the gym. Buying the membership provides a feeling of accomplishment.

In my own case, accumulating parts feels like progress, even when I’m not spending time in the (unheated) shop for weeks ata time.

We’re all subject to the same basic operating system of motivations.

Chat GTP killed Dan. Truth can’t live.

WOW...........looking out, snow is 1/3 way up the shop door. Gonna have to dig to get in for a shovel.

Windrow at the bottom of my driveway is at least 4 feet high. It's going to be a long day, I have a bunch of driveways that need to be cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    WOW...........looking out, snow is 1/3 way up the shop door. Gonna have to dig to get in for a shovel.
    Sounds like you got way more than us then.

Only two to three inches accumulated

Have not been out front yet to see what the drifts are like.

WE got blasted in Ajax, 4' windrow at the bottom of my driveway, dam stuff is so heavy that the snow blower just wants to ride on top of it, + i've got 100' of sidewalk to do also , CUB CADET to the rescue, gotta say the machine worked it's guts out today !
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Sounds like you got way more than us then.

Only two to three inches accumulated

Have not been out front yet to see what the drifts are like.
    We got hammered pretty hard here.