Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,546
Page 899 of 2381 FirstFirst ... 39979984988989589689789889990090190290390994999913991899 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 8,990 of 23808

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    apology?
    compensation!?? :madder:

I can't even comment on this one.
    This.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    What can we as member of the public do to show our distaste for this?
    Not sure if there is recourse for us as taxpayers or the public to do anything, however, he was caught as an enemy combatant in a (legitimate) war zone and deserves to be treated as such - if he cannot be convicted at least he should not be entitled to taxpayer money. It's too bad the US decided not to proceed to trial with him which is what set this whole legal action off.

This is what's been on my mind since it's announcement at Goodwood

Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I don't agree with compensation period, but if compensation is to be paid, it should come from the US. What has Canada done, or failed to do that warrants compensation?
    Apparently it has something to do with the lack of government action (or intentional inaction) as it pertains to the "Charter of Rights and Freedoms" as it's written. They'd probably have to do a re-write in order to legally avoid these types of court rulings. Either way, optics are bad for how we relate to terrorists (I guess we have to say alleged?).

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Either way, optics are bad for how we relate to terrorists
    That's the most understated comment you have ever made. The 'optics' are beyond horrible. There isn't even a word for how bad this is.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    That's the most understated comment you have ever made. The 'optics' are beyond horrible. There isn't even a word for how bad this is.
    True - hard to really describe this. I did read/hear this morning that the outgoing Harper government had noted that a settlement would be the likely outcome (from a legal perspective) but I can't find where I got that from. The only bright spot here is that hopefully he will never see the money from the settlement if the US verdict with the victim's family can be enforced. To bad they couldn't deport his ass - I wouldn't care what the optics of that looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    To bad they couldn't deport his ass - I wouldn't care what the optics of that looked like.
    The optics of that would be outstanding, no matter the legality. That would be Australia Level politicking.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Maybe NDP supporters need to contact their party as well since they seem to support Khadr's position:

Last month, the NDP wrote a letter to Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould urging her to act on an e-petition that said Canada abandoned Khadr to a decade of torture and abuse.

"We recognized that his fundamental rights had been deprived as has been explained by the Supreme Court of Canada and this was really about the treatment he received while he was incarcerated," the NDP justice critic Alistair MacGregor told CBC. "It's fortuitous and maybe a nice coincidence these reports have come out now after we sent that letter."

Did he, or didn't he abandon his country to fight for the enemy? All niceties are of the table at that point. We aren't jumping in to save you from anybody at that point. Torture? Too bad. "Sorry for your predicament" is all you are getting from me.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Yup, he signed up for it when they found him in a war zone fighting for the enemy. I don't know the legalities of this and why there has to be a financial settlement versus just saying "sorry for your bad luck, now have a nice day".