Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  145
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard if Mustangs @ Mosport is a go for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    That's why events like the DaSilva days at TMP are a great place for people to get their feet wet giving this a go for a pretty reasonable price. No membership of any kind required, you pay the entry fee, and show up with a vehicle in ready condition and the proper attitude. Any private group that puts on a lapping day is free to create and enforce their own rules, which I certainly agree with especially at a dangerous circuit like Mosport. You are speculating about the ego and attitude of people that you've never met ... I'm not saying that I haven't come across ones like that, it certainly happens. Once you have done a sufficient number of track days to consider attending a lapping event at the Mosport GP (which should be at least half a dozen if not more), you and people that have ridden with you will have a pretty good gauge of your competency. Then it won't be a roll of the dice as to whether or not you're going to be allowed to run at an event after getting checked out. The event organizers are always looking for repeat customers, they are not going to let their instructors send people home for trivial reasons.

Having been involved with circuit racing and instructing for almost 30 years now, I am reasonably experienced and competent, but certainly don't consider myself an expert,. I'll give you an example of why people need to be checked out before being allowed to run in an advanced lapping group. Two summers ago I was assisting at an event run as its own deal by some people who were affiliated with the BMW Trillium club. Two students that I got paired with, one advanced and one intermediate, were sharing the intermediate student's late model BMW M5. Neither of them had ever driven the GP circuit before, but had some previous lapping experience. The organizers' criteria for putting him in the advanced guy in that group was that he had been to the Nurburgring.

It was raining pretty steady all day, and in the first session with the "advanced" driver he decided that even though he'd never driven this circuit, he was going to push his friend's very fast and capable car to the point where the electronic aids were intervening multiple times per lap. He did slow down a bit after being repeatedly admonished, but this behaviour continued throughout the day. I told the chief instructor that he should be in intermediate, and the car owner who was already in that group should be in with the novices, because he was struggling, but they encouraged me to keep working with them in their current groups. Compounding the problem was their scheduling for the sessions, after lunch they were combining the novice and intermediate groups so if we had moved these guys as I was asking for, they would no longer be able to share the car that day and get all of their sessions.

Finally by mid-afternoon and the advanced guy still not heeding my direction to slow down (he did have some decent skills, but he didn't realize how much the car was intervening and saving his ass), I told the chief instructor to pair someone else with him because I did not feel like being in a crash that day. As I've got past 50 yrs old my self-preservation instincts kick in at a lower threshold, especially at Mosport. If I had been the chief person that day, I would have been telling this person that he either slowed down, or be sent home. He is an example of someone who claimed to have adequate experience, but should not have been in the group that he was ... partially the organizers' fault there as well to suit their scheduling with him sharing the car. Sure he'd been at the Nurburgring, but unless he mastered it while he was there, it's not really much help on a rainy day at Mosport.

Driving quickly on a race track with others around you is NEVER to be taken lightly. In almost all cases the people organizing these types of lapping events and schools have a pretty solid background and track experience. These are first world problems when you boil it down ... if you feel that you can do a better job cheaper running an event, then by all means get a group of participants together and rent a day at the track!!

/ RANT OFF
    I understand perfectly what your saying it's not a game - I work beside a body shop and see brand new high end cars written off on a regular basis that appear as they have not seen the first oil change - what I fail to see and you are somewhat proving my point is the lack of organization in proper training and advancement - I have no track experience - consider myself a good driver and don't see any real definite clear path to getting the experience I need to achieve what I want at a foreseen cost and an organized properly regulated fashion - I've been to events to spectate such as time attack and just witnessed a very random selection and choosing process among inexperienced drivers on weather or not someone gets to drive or not pending the amount of participants needed, especially with a low entry of competitors...

I'm not bashing the system I just see a real need for improvement for the sport to advance - maybe I'm wrong but if acing is to taken off the streets things need to change and what I see in other places outside of Canada make perfect sense considering where the commuter car environment is heading....

and yes I will explore your suggestion...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Personally. I like the stricter rules and system. It limits risk for all those involved.. Drivers wrecking and getting a session red flagged for the clean up. Upsetting many and possible serious injuring themselves is a high and present danger. Just because we can afford to drive a fast car does not mean we can control it at speed. Our driving skills and ability should be scrutinized.

Track days are not for the light hearted or thinned wallet. Not everyone can just build and maintain a track like Mosport.

Experience does make a driver better, Doing training days are great. but “Lapping days” are about the fun of up at speed in a safe controlled environment.
    The good thing about the other events is you can run what you brung, not just Ford powered
    Agreed...Mosport GP is not a track to be run without caution for the un-initiated and even those with lots of experience. TMP....you can go off track at most points without serious consequences (to car and person), but @ Mosport, it could cost you big time. The Mustangs @ Mosport format was good; 3 groups of various experience levels and an instructor ride a long for those new to the track/lapping. For me personally, my wanting to preserve my car helped me greatly

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    Agreed...Mosport GP is not a track to be run without caution for the un-initiated and even those with lots of experience. TMP....you can go off track at most points without serious consequences (to car and person), but @ Mosport, it could cost you big time. The Mustangs @ Mosport format was good; 3 groups of various experience levels and an instructor ride a long for those new to the track/lapping. For me personally, my wanting to preserve my car helped me greatly
    I loved and hated this event LOL
    The pure joy /excitement it brought to me and some of my tag alongs.... no words can describe it. I would have NEVER have ventured onto the Mosport without the GHMA and its organizers. Thank You GHMA.
    I only wish there was more and I started going sooner.
    I hated it because it was a drug. Iam now addicted and thin/empty walletted because of it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I understand perfectly what your saying it's not a game - I work beside a body shop and see brand new high end cars written off on a regular basis that appear as they have not seen the first oil change - what I fail to see and you are somewhat proving my point is the lack of organization in proper training and advancement - I have no track experience - consider myself a good driver and don't see any real definite clear path to getting the experience I need to achieve what I want at a foreseen cost and an organized properly regulated fashion - I've been to events to spectate such as time attack and just witnessed a very random selection and choosing process among inexperienced drivers on weather or not someone gets to drive or not pending the amount of participants needed, especially with a low entry of competitors...

I'm not bashing the system I just see a real need for improvement for the sport to advance - maybe I'm wrong but if acing is to taken off the streets things need to change and what I see in other places outside of Canada make perfect sense considering where the commuter car environment is heading....

and yes I will explore your suggestion...
    I think your best choice is to attend a driving school, like the ones put on by the Trillium BMW club. Class instruction, track walk, skid pad time and in-car instructor time is included I believe. A good way to kick off your journey in tracking your car. Here's some info: http://vps58250.vps.ovh.ca/civicrm/e...&page=1&html=1

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    I think your best choice is to attend a driving school, like the ones put on by the Trillium BMW club. Class instruction, track walk, skid pad time and in-car instructor time is included I believe. A good way to kick off your journey in tracking your car. Here's some info: http://vps58250.vps.ovh.ca/civicrm/e...&page=1&html=1
    Thanks - I think that's a good suggestion and I will be looking into that - when I was discouraged by it all it was 10 or so years ago - I've been exploring again recently things have changed a little, I think, but yah I will go to lapping and ask more questions...lol and keep building cars - have a young son and would really like to help in get involved more so than me, now at my age - together we've discussed driving school for him and he has another year in college - I wont be buying a bimmer tho...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

The Trillium Club events are open to all makes vehicles, they are always looking for and welcoming new students.

if you've never been on track yet, come on out to the DaSilva day at TMP this spring with your 2018. It's a very informal day ... you'll meet a bunch of great people, have an absolute blast in a safe environment, and even better maybe learn a bit more about driving that day too. Rick, Ross, and Stephen do a great job running these events for Joe. Experienced attendees are happy to jump in with you to give a few tips, or offer a ride-around in their cars too.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    The Trillium Club events are open to all makes vehicles, they are always looking for and welcoming new students.

if you've never been on track yet, come on out to the DaSilva day at TMP this spring with your 2018. It's a very informal day ... you'll meet a bunch of great people, have an absolute blast in a safe environment, and even better maybe learn a bit more about driving that day too. Rick, Ross, and Stephen do a great job running these events for Joe. Experienced attendees are happy to jump in with you to give a few tips, or offer a ride-around in their cars too.

cheers
    Ed
    Thanks Ed - just being a joker about the BMW comment lol - My beef kinda went of course (probably my choice of wording and emotions) - I just think there's a huge potential if one owned a track with plenty of land around it to open up new opportunities - my vision far outreaches my wallet and current trends - now that I'm older, and they say life slows down when your older...lol (probably was a young guy that said that!) I'm going to make more effort to try and understand and get more involved in the race community as well as be involved on the track.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I loved and hated this event LOL
    The pure joy /excitement it brought to me and some of my tag alongs.... no words can describe it. I would have NEVER have ventured onto the Mosport without the GHMA and its organizers. Thank You GHMA.
    I only wish there was more and I started going sooner.
    I hated it because it was a drug. Iam now addicted and thin/empty walletted because of it LOL
    Same experience for me. Was a total adrenaline rush and a real learning experience. I was somewhat spoiled driving my 12 Boss 302 as it was really built to help get the most out of a track experience. I too wish I'd been able to get involved much earlier, but will fondly remember the 3 yrs. I got to go.

And no question it can get expensive....real fast. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Thanks Ed - just being a joker about the BMW comment lol - My beef kinda went of course (probably my choice of wording and emotions) - I just think there's a huge potential if one owned a track with plenty of land around it to open up new opportunities - my vision far outreaches my wallet and current trends - now that I'm older, and they say life slows down when your older...lol (probably was a young guy that said that!) I'm going to make more effort to try and understand and get more involved in the race community as well as be involved on the track.
    I know that you're thinking out loud and just expressing some frustration more than anything, I was busting your balls a bit while trying to make a point. Until you've actually come out to the track and experienced it, try to not make assumptions based on things that you have heard or read which may or may not be valid.

Reading the thread I agree with everything said by the experienced drivers. I think everyone should remember no matter how much experience and skill you have shit happens.
    These pictures are of a Nissan GTR, with a VERY experienced driver and instructor. He is well respected in Z car circles. At Road Atlanta, in October, he made a rookie mistake and took out his car...in the 5th corner. Cold tires are not very forgiving.

January 14, 2019 update....He messaged me and they wrote the car off. He was covered by track insurance.

IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    Last edited by Mellow Yellow; 02-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.