Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  67
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ford Officially Calls 5.0L Coyote Ticking Sound a Normal Characteristic

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    I don't know....I put 5-30 in my 2005 3v shortly after I bought it and the cam phasers start to sound like they were coming out of the engine. There are a lot of plastic parts in there that may not be able to handle the pressure. Went back to 5-20 and everything settled down to "normal"
    I have to agree with you on this - since I purchased my s550 three months ago I've done a lot if reading on oil - enough to turn me off ketchup and things of the like, but that's another story - in everything I read lead me to believe that 5w20 was probably the best choice for today's average engine - 0w20 seemed to be that next best but would break down sooner - I believe. API stands for minimum standards so I wouldn't go cheap and would stick to full synthetic. Saying all this it's not what I will be using lol because I don't think the coyote or anything pushing 350 HP or more and boosted are average grocery getter engines. When I change my oil I'm going to send sample out the see what was actually in there from the factory assuming the car has the original oil as it had 5ooo on it when I purchased it.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Ford Officially Calls 5.0L Coyote Ticking Sound a Normal Characteristic

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I have to agree with you on this - since I purchased my s550 three months ago I've done a lot if reading on oil - enough to turn me off ketchup and things of the like, but that's another story - in everything I read lead me to believe that 5w20 was probably the best choice for today's average engine - 0w20 seemed to be that next best but would break down sooner - I believe. API stands for minimum standards so I wouldn't go cheap and would stick to full synthetic. Saying all this it's not what I will be using lol because I don't think the coyote or anything pushing 350 HP or more and boosted are average grocery getter engines. When I change my oil I'm going to send sample out the see what was actually in there from the factory assuming the car has the original oil as it had 5ooo on it when I purchased it.
    You worry too much . At least your s550 will be well looked after oil wise lol. Mine always received the standard oil with regular intervals, and it’s a grocery getter, vacation transport, Home Depot delivery truck, track car, occasional “race car in Mexico” with high kms- the motor hasn’t blown up yet ( knock on wood) - tick or no tick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Lol my seat folds down so you might see a few 2x4's sticking out occasionally - ur right tho I do worry about it - I think ketchup might be good additive but I'm not trying that
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Mustang Occasionally
    Me na tic heeer.

My service manager said Ford is now recommending 5 50 full synthetic for the Bullitt. Ordering Amsoil Signature Series in the next few weeks.
    "If your wife is having a good time and you're not,
    You're still having a better time than if you were having a good time, and she wasn't."

Quote Originally Posted by SVOMACH1 View Post
    My service manager said Ford is now recommending 5 50 full synthetic for the Bullitt. Ordering Amsoil Signature Series in the next few weeks.
    Well 2018 is near the 5,000km so this looks like the order I’ll be making as well. If it’s good enough for the Bullit....

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Quote Originally Posted by SVOMACH1 View Post
    that's probably the best of the three Amsoil products for the s550 in my opinion...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Mobile 1 syn 10w30 is all I’ve ever used in my 03 Cobra and 5L F150 and no ticks or issues with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I used blackstone labs a few times and think it's worth it to find out: 1. General condition of the motor internals, i.e. wear metal levels, 2. How the oil itself is holding up at time of change, i.e. shear and viscosity.

Cheap insurance IMO.

just add boost and turn it up thats how id deal with the tick. on another note for thioe that dont mind dropping some coin to beef things up u can have a non sleeved shortblock built to handle 1000hp for about $6000usd....if any of mine start ticking thats my option...chasing ford around for a motor replacement that is likely to develop the same problem makes no sense to me....some people have also tried seratec liqui moly additive with some success...is the noise a pain in the arse? YES, but if it doesnt effect performance then just turn up the stereo..lol